You’ll love this healthy take on a loaded baked potato with these perfectly roasted sweet potatoes smothered with Greek yogurt, herbed goat cheese and crispy bacon. They taste so comforting and indulgent, you’d never guess they’re healthy!
Do you guys have any particular foods that you go crazy-over-the-moon-can’t-get-enough-of? You know, those ingredients that whenever you sit down at a restaurant, you immediately, and almost automatically begin scanning the menu for? My two? Sweet potatoes and goat cheese. And if they come in the same dish? Well then I don’t even need to read the rest of the menu.
A few years ago, my brother was on an Outback kick. Whenever we went out to dinner, he always wanted to go there, and he would even get dinner to-go at least once a week. Who gets steak as take out? My brother. He always gets fancy Italian food as take out. He’s so weird. Anyway, Outback has a serious loaded baked potato. It comes out with big, flaky crystals of sea salt stuck to the skin. PS: I’m a skin lover. I don’t understand those people who just eat the inside of a potato!
It became my mission to create my own version, but obviously with sweet potatoes because, and I know people will think I’m crazy, but I feel like russet potatoes have absolutely no flavor! None! Like, what’s the point? I want to eat a potato to get to the filling, and I don’t want to eat the filling because it’s usually butter, and I guess if I really wanted the butter, I should just eat that and skip the potato, but that sounds a little much even as someone who genuinely, deep down loooooves butter. Sweet potatoes on the other hand–they have the best flavor!
So to get the perfectly roasted potato (no matter which one you like), you just rub that baby with olive oil (or coconut oil, or butter, or truffle oil…OMG…that would be ridiculous…) and then grind some flakey sea salt right on top before roasting. It will give you that crispy, salty skin that will make you feel like you’ve died and gone to heaven. These are my traditional, got-to loaded sweets, but once you’ve got ’em roasted, you can load ’em up with whatever you’d like! I’m also partial to these buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes and these bbq chicken stuffed sweet potatoes. 😉
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- flakey sea salt
- 2 heaping tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons crumbled herb goat cheese
- 2 slices center cut bacon cooked and crumbled
- pinch black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400. Pierce each sweet potato several times with a fork. Rub each one with one tablespoon of olive oil, then add desired amount of salt. Roast potatoes until fork tender, about 45-60 minutes, depending on thickness.
- Slice potatoes lengthwise down the center (careful not to cut all the way through). Top each sweet potato with 1 heaping tablespoon Greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon goat cheese, and one slice cooked bacon. Add a pinch of black pepper if desired. Serve immediately.