Easy Breakfast Ham Casserole is cheesy, gooey, and delicious (BONUS – it has tater tots). Your family will be scraping their plates & begging for more!
When you find a dish that is an easy breakfast casserole with ham and potatoes and eggs, you make sure you hold onto that recipe for dear life. I’ve made this Breakfast Ham Casserole so many times and it’s almost impossible to mess up – my entire family loves it. You really can’t go wrong with a breakfast founded on tater tots!
BREAKFAST HAM CASSEROLE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your BREAKFAST pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
In our house, breakfast is family time, especially on weekends and holidays. It’s a time to gather together in our comfiest PJs and cook up some delicious food while still rocking our messy bed-head hair. The kids get involved, my husband is the certified taste-tester, and the dog is around to clean up whatever mess we unintentionally make!
What I love most about breakfast recipes is that you can use basically anything you have on hand in your fridge and it will turn out delicious. That’s one reason I ALWAYS make this Breakfast Ham Casserole on holiday mornings, especially Christmas morning, or the day after a holiday – there’s almost guaranteed to be leftover ham that is begging to be eaten!
The secret ingredient that makes this easy breakfast casserole perfectly crispy and delicious is the ever-useful tater tot. Tots stay super crispy and crunchy even after they bake up instead of just a mushy potato in the bottom of the pan. Trust me…it’s amazing! And the kids will go crazy knowing that you are willingly serving them tater tots for breakfast.
Don’t have tater tots on hand? Don’t worry! Another great way to incorporate potatoes into breakfast is hash browns – check out this Cheesy Ham and Hash Brown Casserole – it’s another family favorite!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Breakfast Casserole with Ham
- Fully cooked ham
- Frozen tater tots
- 8 eggs
- Cheddar Cheese
- Clove of garlic
- Small onion
I wasn’t kidding when I said you’re almost guaranteed to have all of these ingredients lying around your house!
How to Cook Ham Casserole
The thing that I love most about this tater tot breakfast casserole with ham is what an EASY recipe it is. It just takes two simple steps!
- Now typically when making breakfast, I don’t start with frozen tater tots, but my family knows that when they see me grab that bag out of the freezer, it’s going to be a great morning. We start by lining a baking dish coated with cooking spray with tater tots and ham chunks, and we get to mixing together the rest of the ingredients.
- This next step is always my kids’ job because (like I’ve already told you…) it’s SO EASY! I a large bowl, whisk together the lightly scrambled eggs, garlic, cheese, onion, and milk. Once they’re all nice and combined (and my kids have managed to spill some egg on the counter), you just have to pour the egg mixture on top of the tater tots and ham in the baking dish. It’s as easy as that! Now it’s ready to bake and you just sit back and relax for the next 45-50 minutes while your breakfast practically prepares itself!
Typically in our house, while the breakfast casserole recipe bakes, my husband and I sip our coffee while the kids clean up the dishes we dirtied (yes, I know my kids ARE the best!). As they’re finishing up the dishes, the smell of the cheesy goodness begins to waft through the house and we know it’s almost time to get to the table and enjoy the deliciousness!
It really is that easy!! If you’re efficient, you could probably even get it prepped and in the oven in under 10 minutes! If you’re in the market for another super easy, super delicious casserole, make sure to check out another crowd favorite – Meaty Eggs Benedict Casserole – this one you can prep the night before… even more of a morning time saver!
Check out these other great breakfast/brunch recipes!
- French Toast Bake
- Cheesy Ham and Hash Brown Casserole
- Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Farmer’s Casserole
- Overnight Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole
- More Breakfast recipes…
Tools Used to Make This Breakfast Ham Casserole Recipe
Casserole Dish: I have had this dish FOREVER. My family knows that when this casserole dish comes out of the cupboard, something amazing is about to be made!
Mixing Bowls: every kitchen has to have a set of nesting mixing bowls. These are my favorite! (I recommend these go on EVERYONE’s bridal registry!)
*This post originally posted on 02/02/2016
- 8 ounces cooked ham chopped
- 16 ounces bag frozen tater tots
- 8 eggs lightly beaten
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ small yellow onion finely chopped
- ½ cup milk
- Green onion for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Put tater tots in the casserole dish and spread into an even layer. Add ham over the top being to spread over th pan so there is some in every bite.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, cheddar cheese, garlic, onion, and milk. Mix well. Gently pour the egg mixture over the tater tots and ham.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the eggs are fully cooked. Garnish with chopped green onion, if desired. Cut into 8 portions and serve warm.