I really enjoy carrot cake but don’t get to eat it that often. My kids are not big fans, so that leaves the husband and me. That can be very dangerous because with me in the house all day I have a hard time not sneaking “just a bite” here and there until my “just a bite” turns into the entire cake! I will admit I have very little will power. So these Carrot Cake Pancakes are perfect because I can get that delicious flavor of the carrot cake in a pancake. Plus, there is very little judgement when I eat pancakes versus eating an entire cake for breakfast! 🙂
These pancakes are so simple. I love homemade pancakes but most recipes call for buttermilk. I do like a good buttermilk pancake but rarely have any buttermilk on hand so I keep a few good recipes on hand that don’t need buttermilk. I like to be able to make pancakes spur of the moment on the weekends. When you make these Carrot Cake Pancakes be sure to allow your shredded carrot to dry on a paper towel. Carrots have a lot of yummy juice in them but that can make your pancakes too liquidy. These are a thick pancake so when you spoon the batter on you’ll need to spread it with the bottom of the measuring cup or ladle. They are terrific and will absolutely be a hit with you family, if you share.
- lay shredded carrots on a paper towel and allow to dry
- in a medium sized bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar
- in a small bowl combine beaten egg, milk and butter
- add carrot and walnuts to the dry ingredients and top with the wet
- stir until just combined and allow to sit for 30 minutes
- heat griddle or large skillet over medium high heat
- spoon 1/4 cup of batter onto greased skillet and cook until bubbles form on top
- flip and cook until bottom is golden brown
- serve with maple syrup and enjoy!