Everyone loves a Classic Carrot Cake! When it’s topped with the best cream cheese frosting you have a winner that’s perfect for Easter dessert or any time!
Growing up I didn’t like carrot cake! If I’m being honest I don’t know that I tried it. It may have been the thought of carrots in cake. I don’t think it was until I was 18 or 19 that I finally tried it and realized it was amazing!!! I wasn’t a picky eater growing up, my mom used to feed me pigs feet and I loved it, but I couldn’t wrap my brain around this for some reason. Now I am happy to report that I don’t care for pigs feet and I LOVE carrot cake!!!
I’ve realized I don’t have some classic recipes on the site. Staples like this Classic Carrot Cake, so I’m working on adding my favorites to the site this year. I love carrot cake with it’s fluffy cream cheese frosting. I think it’s absolutely beautiful! Then when you cut into it and you see the orange of the shredded carrot and all the spices of the cake itself! That’s all before you take your first bite. I like to decorate the sides of the cake with toasted chopped pecans. I love the look and like to give people the option of nuts. It won’t help with a nut allergy but some people just don’t want nuts in their desserts.
Classic Carrot Cake is so simple to make and a crowd favorite that it’s a no brainer. Most of the ingredients are ingredients I keep on hand in my kitchen so I usually don’t even have to run out to the store! I love when dessert is simple to make, don’t you?
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups carrots finely shredded
- Best Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1-2 cups toasted pecans, chopped
- preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- butter two 9 x 2 cake pans and set aside
- in a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
- using the paddle attachment of a stand mixer beat the eggs until frothy
- gradually add in the granulated sugar and brown sugar, beat until thick, about 3-4 minutes
- add the vegetable oil in a slow and steady stream
- pour in the vanilla extract
- turn off mixer and pour in the flour mixture
- turn the mixer back on low and mix until flour is just incorporated
- fold in the carrots
- pour equal amounts into both cake pans
- bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted intothe center comes out clean
- allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes in the cake pan
- invert onto a cooling rack and remove pan, allowing cakes to cool completely
- place bottom cake onto cake plate and frost
- place second layer on top of the second layer and then finish frosting
- place toasted nuts on the sides of the cake
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!