The Best Cream Cheese Frosting is a light and fluffy frosting that is the perfect complement to all of your favorite confections!
Creamy, tangy, and slightly sweet, this cream cheese frosting recipe is easy to make and is essential for everything from Red Velvet Cake to Carrot Cake! This amazing frosting can be whipped up in just minutes using only four ingredients – cream cheese, butter, confectioners sugar, and vanilla extract.
The Best Part of the Cake
We’ve all been there- someone has brought over a beautiful cake that looks drool-worthy and then you take a bite. The frosting hits your tongue and coats it like a bland butter highway that refuses to be demolished no matter how much liquid you drink. Frosting can make or break even the most delicious cake, which is why I always use this incredibly easy and decadent Best Cream Cheese Frosting. My kids demand, very nicely, this frosting on their birthday cakes and I use it for all occasions which is great because it’s so simple to make and really just tastes amazing!
Other Recipes to Serve with The Best Cream Cheese Frosting
- Chocolate Zucchini Sheet Cake is chocolate bliss! So you know it needs this frosting to complement that decadent flavor.
- Carrot Cake Swiss Roll is a scrumptious way to showcase this amazing frosting for a perfect Springtime treat!
Refrigerator items: Set out the butter and cream cheese well ahead of time, to bring them to room temperature.
Pantry items: You’ll need powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
How to Make The Best Cream Cheese Frosting
STEP TWO: At a lower speed, pour in the vanilla extract and slowly add the powdered sugar, scraping the sides of the bowl as you mix.
STEP THREE: Beat the frosting for two minutes until everything is fluffy. Refrigerate the frosting until you’re ready to use it.
Tips for Success
- Make sure the butter and cream cheese are room temperature. You don’t want the butter to be a melted, runny mess but it should be soft enough to lightly squeeze. Room temperature cream cheese will also blend better so that you don’t end up with clumps of cream cheese in your frosting.
- Sift the confectioners sugar before adding it to the mixer. Sifting will ensure that there are no clumps of sugar that will mess with the texture and taste of the frosting.
Should I Refrigerate the Frosting Before Using It?
Refrigerating the frosting before you frost your cake is a good idea. The butter in the frosting will help it firm up a little, making it easier to spread or pipe onto your desserts.
Can I Make The Best Cream Cheese Frosting Ahead of Time?
Yes! Since refrigerating the frosting before using it is a good idea, you can also keep it in an air-tight container for up to two weeks. You can even freeze the frosting and thaw it in the refrigerator when you’re ready to use it.
Need More Reasons to Make The Best Cream Cheese Frosting?
- Classic Carrot Cake
- Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Banana Donuts with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
*This post originally posted on 03/28/2015.
- Using the whisk attachment on your stand mixer, beat together the cream cheese and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. (You could also use a hand mixer.)
- Turn down the speed of the mixer and slowly add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Once all the ingredients are incorporated, turn up the speed to medium-high and beat for 2 minutes until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. (see note)