APPLE PIE CINNAMON ROLLS are everything you love about cinnamon rolls & apple pie all rolled into one delicious bite!
Do you love cinnamon rolls? Our family is crazy for cinnamon. Now that it’s inching closer to fall we have cinnamon & apples all over the place here. One of our favorite things to do is head over to see our friend Joe, who runs a farm down the road. We spend the day learning about how to grow berries & vegetables while we pick apples from his orchard. It’s quite possibly one of my most favorite things to do during the fall season. I love loading up the back of our truck with produce that I can prepare in various ways to last throughout the season.
Real Housemoms TV
One thing my family always looks forward to is my homemade apple pie filling. It’s because I usually make more than just pie with it. We love to use it in parfaits, on top of ice cream or mixed into various other recipes like I did here with these cinnamon rolls. The pie filling is already packed with that great cinnamon flavor & deep caramel sauce. It’s really the perfect addition to a cinnamon roll, if you ask me.
These were so incredible. I was sure glad I made a double batch so we would have enough to last for more than a couple mornings. The kids were in absolute heaven. If you love cinnamon rolls- these will be your new favorite breakfast. I guarantee it.
- 1 package yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons, dissolved in 1/2 cup room temperature water
- 3 tbsp shortening Crisco
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 can apple pie filling
- 1/4 cup cinnamon/sugar mix
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- Add yeast to 1/2 cup of room temperature water. Stir with a spoon and set aside while you prep the other ingredients
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add shortening, sugar, hot water and salt & beat for 30 seconds. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Add in 2 cups of flour & mix until smooth.
- Mix in yeast mixture until well combined.
- Mix in the beaten eggs.
- Gradually stir in the remaining flour & mix with the dough hook -about 2 minutes.
- Remove dough from the bowl & place on a lightly floured counter. Coat hands in flour & knead by hand, add a little flour if the dough is still too sticky. Knead until dough feels smooth.
- Put the dough in a greased bowl & cover with a towel. Let dough rise for 30 minutes or until it doubles in size.
- Remove dough from bowl & place on a lightly floured counter again. Roll dough into a rectangle.
- Spread butter over dough. Sprinkle dough with brown sugar & cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Spread apple pie filling on top. Gently roll up dough into one long roll.
- Cut rolls into 12 even slices using a dough cutter. Place rolls into a greased 9X13 baking pan. Place rolls in a warm spot & cover with a towel. Let rolls rise until double in size, about an hour.
- Bake rolls at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove pans from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine milk & confectioners sugar, whisk until smooth.
- Pour frosting over rolls and serve.
Looking for more great fall recipes? Here are some of our favorites!
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!