Three Ingredient Sausage Roll Bites are both easy to make and the perfect game day appetizer!
Its that time of year again. The beginning of the year marks a point in people’s lives in which they want to start the year off healthy, eat well, exercise more, yadda yadda, yet they have an internal battle with the inevitable… Superbowl is coming and their weakness is GAME DAY GRUB. I’m one of those people who loves football only because of the food. I’m the one who will have no idea who is playing but I can tell you all about all the goodies on the table. I know Real Housemoms fans love good and tasty food that’s easy to make, so I present to you Three Ingredient Sausage Roll Bites, and boy they are tasty!
Real Housemoms TV
The recipe is simple: combine a pack of onion dip mix (I prefer Trader Joe’s brand) with some ground sausage, wrap it up in puff pastry (again, I prefer Trader Joe’s), slice it, bake it, and serve it up with some stone ground mustard for dipping.
It doesn’t get much easier than that, my friends.
The best part is that you can prepare these sausage roll bites ahead of time, freeze them, and just pull them out when you’re ready to bake them for your game day party. You might as well double or quadruple the recipe because sports go year round (they do, right?)
These little bites have enough flavor to be served up by themselves, but they taste extra good dipped in some stone ground mustard. YUM!
- 12 ounces ground pork not pre-seasoned
- 1.13 ounce onion dip mix I prefer Trader Joe's
- 1 puff pastry dough sheet 8 ounces, they usually come two in a pack
- In medium sized bowl, combine ground pork and onion dip mix.
- Thaw puff pastry sheet. Slice down the middle to make two long rectangles. Place each rectangle on a piece of plastic wrap.
- Divide pork mixture in half and place on puff pastry rectangles. Shape into log that spans the length of puff pastry. Wrap pastry dough around sausage and seal using a bit of water. Wrap each log tightly in plastic wrap and freeze for one hour in order to make it firm enough to easily slice.
- Remove from freezer, unwrap, and use a very sharp knife to cut slices that are about 3/4 inch thick.
- If making ahead, lay sausage roll pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze. Once frozen, you can store them in a freezer bag until ready to cook. Just be sure to extend cooking time if you start with frozen pieces.
- To cook, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange sausage bites on a rimmed baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes (depending on how cold your rolls were). A lot of grease cooks out during the baking process (much like it does when you cook bacon). Remove from oven when sausage is cooked and both meat and puff pastry start to get golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to absorb any excess grease before serving.
- Serve warm along side some spicy stone ground mustard for dipping.
If you enjoy delicious little appetizers that are wrapped in puff pastry, be sure to check out my:
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!