We (my family) are creatures of habits, especially when it comes to dining out. We eat at the same restaurants and we order the same foods each time. If we got out for pizza we always have sausage, pepperoni and banana peppers. If we go out to our favorite burger place we order the same spicy burgers; the kids order the same grilled cheese sandwiches. If we go out for Mexican, my husband has enchiladas, I order a taco salad and the kids have tacos. The truth of the matter is, we are predictable.
Sometimes I actually want to stray from my boring old stand-by. Often my husband’s enchiladas call out to me like sirens, but that darn cheese sauce and those refried beans continue to keep me at arm’s length. This can only lead to one thing, creating my own enchilada recipe! This enchilada casserole has all the flavors I love. I used spicy chorizo sausage in this casserole. I love using chorizo sausage. I add it to burgers and eat it with eggs. It’s a bit spicy, yet incredibly flavorful. I also used black beans (pinto would work too) and cooked turkey. This is a great way to use up leftovers! Chicken would work in place of cooked turkey. While there is a fair amount of cheese, the casserole isn’t drenched in a thick blanket of cheese like I find in some restaurants. This casserole makes an easy weeknight meal and is great family food.
Real Housemoms TV
We don’t order the same boring old Mexican anymore, now we stay home and eat the same enchilada casserole instead. We are totally content!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll love our other easy casserole recipes!
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- In a large skillet cook chorizo until no longer pink. Drain and set aside. Add onions to the same skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and cook an additional minute.
- In a large bowl, combine chorizo, turkey, beans, onion mixture, cilantro, cumin and salt. Add broth and ¼ cup salsa.
- Spread ¼ cup salsa on the bottom of the baking dish. Top with 3 tortillas, cutting tortillas to make them fit. Spread with ¼ cup of salsa, ½ of the meat mixture and ⅓ of the cheese. Top with three tortillas. Repeat process, ending with cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese has melted and is bubbly.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!