APPLE PIE OATMEAL BARS are delicious, serve it with a scoop of ice cream warm out of the oven or cold for a special morning treat!
We’ve had a taste of Fall up here in Oregon this past week and I needed it. Temperatures kept rising higher and higher until we hit 102! We got out of dodge that day and headed to the coast. (People will correct you if you call the coast the beach here in Oregon.) It was a great day with the kids exploring the jelly fish that washed up and throwing the football. After that, the rain came in and temps fell back to the 70’s. It was perfect because I stated to feel under the weather and I only wanted soup. There is no way I can eat soup in hot temps! Once I was feeling better I was so excited to get back to the kitchen and start some cooking. I love the ramp up to Fall dishes. I started to think about making an oatmeal breakfast but that somehow morphed into a dessert. I’ll be honest though, I don’t need much of an excuse to eat apple pie for breakfast when it’s in the house, so making it into an oatmeal bar is like a license to treat myself!
Apple Pie Oatmeal Bars really are very easy to make. It takes just a few minutes to make the apple pie filling and the oatmeal mixture comes together VERY fast! The longest, toughest part is waiting for it to finish baking so you can steal a nibble. The oatmeal mixture is sweet, buttery and crispy and the apple filling is just the right amount of amazing. You can absolutely go ahead and eat these warm out of the oven with a big scoop of ice cream but know that it will be a bit crumbly. The longer you let it cool the better it will set. I had it both ways and was super happy with both! I’m telling you that you’ll be a superstar if you make these this week! If you make them share a picture with us on Instagram using the hashtag #RHfood!
Apple Pie Filling
- 2 cups apples cored, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup plus 6 tbsp butter cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
Apple Pie Filling
- combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan and place over medium heat
- stir and allow to cook until apples are softened and sauce is thick
- remove from heat
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- grease a 9-by-13 baking dish
- whisk together the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt
- using a fork or pastry cutter add in the butter and work until well combined
- press half of the mixture into and even layer in the bottom of the baking dish
- spread an even layer of the apple pie mixture over the bottom layer of the oat mixture
- sprinkle an even layer of the remaining oat mixture on top of the apple pie filling
- place in the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes
- allow to cool completely (if you can) and then cut into squares
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!