Bacon Jalapeno Baked Potato Soup is thick and creamy with the right amount of heat to warm you up on those cold winter nights!
With the cold weather setting in, I crave comforting soups. Potato soups are always at the top of my list. They’re so creamy and they just give you that happy food feeling when the bowl is empty. This time I wanted to bring together two of my favorite dishes for some fall recipe heaven! Everything about this recipe just screams eat me! Rich potato soup, cream cheese for extra creaminess, crispy pops of salty bacon, and a little heat from the jalapeno. I’m telling you, this soup is magic. But really, anything with jalapeno and bacon is pretty magical to me.
It really is super easy to make and you could even make the baked potatoes ahead of time if you’re making baked potatoes with dinner the night before. Thick soups are so great at warming you up when it gets cold outside. Here in Portland it’s not only cold but usually raining so a warm soup is necessary. I love pairing this soup with freshly baked cornbread or serving it in a homemade bread bowl. It’s everything a comforting dinner on a cool night should be!
- 4 lbs. baking potatoes
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers chopped
- 2 ribs of celery chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz. cream cheese cut into cubes
- Optional garnishes
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- bread bowl
- preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- using a fork and poke holes in the potatoes all around the potatoes
- place in the oven and bake for 60 minutes or until they are fork tender
- set potatoes aside until cool enough to touch
- slice the potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the inside of the potatoes and place in the bowl of a stand mixer
- using the whisk attachment whip the potato insides until all or most lumps are gone, depending on texture you'd like for you soup.
- chop bacon to one inch pieces
- heat dutch oven or large pot over medium heat
- place bacon in pot and cook until crispy
- remove the bacon and set aside
- drain most of the bacon grease, leaving 1 tbsp in the pot
- add in the onion, jalapeno and celery to the pot and cook for 2-3 min until tender
- cover the pot and reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 min
- add whipped potato insides to the pot and stir
- slowly stir in the chicken stock
- bring the soup to a simmer and then reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes
- stir in the heavy cream and cream cheese making sure to break up the cream cheese so that it melts
- add back in most of the bacon, leaving some out to top each bowl with
- season with salt and pepper to taste
- spoon into bread bowl or bowl
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!