Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is a comforting meal that’s incredibly easy to make! Your slow cooker does the work, and you get to fill your family’s bellies!
Fall seems is the perfect time for some warm soup, and it’s even more perfect when you need a tasty yet simple meal. soup is a perfect and simple meal. Soups, like my famous Chicken Noodle Soup recipe, are a staple once the temperatures start to drop.
Now we have a new amazing soup recipe to add to the rotation with this Chicken Tortilla Soup. It’s definitely a favorite in our house already. This recipe is easy to make, smells amazing while it cooks, and has a lot of flavor. This easy tortilla soup recipe is filling and so good. Bonus, it’s even better as leftovers the next day! Top it off with Monterey jack cheese and diced avocado for the perfect combination of flavors!
CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Ingredients For Chicken Tortilla Soup
Next time you make your grocery list, just add these few simple ingredients and you won’t regret it. Everything needed can be found at your basic local grocery store.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Chopped mild green chilies drained
- Garlic minced
- Diced tomatoes with green chilies
- Diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil
- Chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded Monterey jack cheese
How To Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken tortilla soup takes almost no time to prep, and then you can just dump everything in the crockpot and wait for it to be done. It doesn’t get much simpler that than!
- To start things you’ll place the raw chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker. Then in a separate bowl, add the garlic, green chiles, onion, both cans of tomatoes, 1/2 of the chicken broth, and cumin.
*If you want an extra kick, you can add 1 tablespoon of chili powder too.
- Next, pour the mixture over the chicken. Cover the slow cooker and set the temperature to HIGH. Cook the chicken for 3 hours or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Remove the cover from the slow cooker and place the chicken on a plate or cutting board. Use 2 forks to shred the chicken into small pieces (you can even do this right in your slow cooker). Add the chicken back into the soup.
- After that, assemble the remaining soup ingredients by pouring the other 1/2 of the chicken broth and seasoning with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Just before you’re ready to serve the soup, add the tortilla strips and fresh cilantro to slow cooker and stir the soup.
- I usually serve this soup in soup bowls and top each portion with shredded cheese, diced avocado, and a lime wedge that lime juice can be squeezed over the soup. Maybe even a little sour cream if you like!
What To Serve With The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup
This easy chicken tortilla soup goes great with just about any side dish, but I personally love to keep with the Mexican theme and serve up a few Mexican inspired side dishes to complete the meal.
You can also serve up an array of topping options for everyone to choose from, like cheese, olives, tortilla chips, or anything else you might think sounds good.
Can I Freeze This Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Most soup recipes freeze very well, which is nice since they usually make more than just a couple servings per batch. So, if you want to make this easy tortilla soup recipe, but can’t eat it all at once, feel free to pop some in the freezer.
To freeze, make sure the soup is cooled to room temperature, then place it in an airtight container and stick it in the freezer. You can store it for up to 4 months in the freezer.
To reheat from frozen, let the soup thaw overnight in the refrigerator, or naturally on the counter for a few hours, then place it in the microwave for about a minute.
My family says this is the best chicken tortilla soup recipe around, and I’m inclined to agree. But if you don’t my word for it, cook up a bowl yourself and get on board!
Check even more soup recipes
- Instant Pot Meatball Soup
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Slow Cooker Classic Tomato Soup
- More Main Dish Recipes…
Tools used to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
Mixing Bowls: This set of mixing bowls will make sure you have the perfect size bowl no matter what you are cooking up in the kitchen.
Crock-Pot: My cock-pot is always what I grab for when I really need a simple no-fuss dinner that basically cooks itself.
Soup Bowls: I love that these bowls have handles so you never have to worry about burning your hands while carrying your hot bowl of soup over to the table.
*This post originally posted on 09/27/2012.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 ounces chopped mild green chilies drained (1 can)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies including juice (1 can)
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil including juice (1 can)
- 1 cup chicken broth divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 corn tortillas cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- ½ cup Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1 avocado pitted and diced
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Place raw chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- In a separate bowl, stir together green chilies, garlic, onion, both types of tomatoes, 1/2 cup chicken broth, and cumin. Pour over chicken.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3 hours. (Or on LOW for 5 to 6 hours.)
- When chicken is tender, remove from the slow cooker and use 2 forks to shred the chicken. Add chicken back into the soup.
- Add the reserved 1/2 cup of chicken broth to the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper taste.
- Just before serving, add tortilla strips and cilantro to the soup and stir.
- Serve warm with shredded cheese, avocado, and a lime wedge to be squeezed over the bowl of soup.