Chicken Tortilla Soup is a favorite soup of mine! It is really easy to make, smells amazing while it cooks, and has a lot of flavor! It is a nice time of year to use the crock pot and have it do the work for you! Heck, I guess any time of the year is great for the crock pot to cook for you. Fall seems rather appropriate for some warm soup, even though Arizona is still having really warm weather and we have to pretend it is 60 degrees outside. It is still in the 90s and low 100s here, but sometimes soup is a perfect and simple meal. My husband thinks it is funny when I want to make soup for dinner. He thinks it should be an appetizer or a side, but does not think of it as a full meal. Well, he thought differently of my chicken tortilla soup. It is very filling and so good! We had some leftovers and it was just as yummy the next day! My parents were here to eat it then and we finished every last bite! They loved it too! Top it off with monterey jack cheese and cut up avocado for the perfect combination of flavors!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 ounces chopped mild green chilies drained (1 can)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies including juice (1 can)
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil including juice (1 can)
- 1 cup chicken broth divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 corn tortillas cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1 avocado pitted and diced
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Place raw chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- In a separate bowl, stir together green chilies, garlic, onion, both types of tomatoes, 1/2 cup chicken broth, and cumin. Pour over chicken.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3 hours. (Or on LOW for 5 to 6 hours.)
- When chicken is tender, remove from the slow cooker and use 2 forks to shred the chicken. Add chicken back into the soup.
- Add the reserved 1/2 cup of chicken broth to the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper taste.
- Just before serving, add tortilla strips and cilantro to the soup and stir.
- Serve warm with shredded cheese, avocado, and a lime wedge to be squeezed over the bowl of soup.
Recipe inspired by: Disney Family
Real Housemoms TV
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!