Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup is absolutely delicious and perfect for cold weather! It’s packed with hearty veggies, rotisserie chicken, and cheesy tortellini that will have you savoring every last bite.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Glad Food Protection. The opinions and text are all mine.
I love making a big pot of soup when the weather gets cold. Where I live we don’t always get a lot of snow. This year it seems like we’re getting a ton on snow and ice! The kids have already had 4 snow days! When the temps drop I love getting cozy with a bowl of soup. Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup is a total favorite because it’s rich, indulgent, and delicious! It’s easy to make, and easy to double for quick lunches or dinners later.
I love making a big double batch so I can have dinner on night one, and freeze the second half for another night, or portion it into individual lunch size options for fast lunches ready to go.
I’m an avid proponent of not wasting food, so I like to keep a supply of freezer ready containers from Glad FreezerWare on hand. They work great, the food doesn’t get freezer burned, and I know I can count on them to keep it good.
By freezing soup in individual portions, I know that we can cut down food waste as well. Then I don’t have to make or defrost a whole pot of soup when it is just me at home, instead I can simply eat one serving, and keep the rest safe in the freezer until I’m ready for it.
Since learning the average American throws out approximately 25% of the food they buy, I’ve tried even harder to be conscious about portioning, planning ahead, and using the right products to protect and preserve food. Glad offers a wide range of food protection products to choose from. Additionally, on the Food Storage section of their website, you can find pointers and tips for food protection. Glad offers so much more than containers.
Taking small steps to prep and protect the food you buy, and planning for and using the food you make saves money, and helps with food security.
Find out more at Glad.com.
Now, let’s get back to the creamy chicken tortellini soup. It’s really quick and easy to make. It’s really great with crusty bread, and topped with some fresh parsley, and parmesan cheese.
You do want to serve or freeze it right away so the tortellini don’t absorb a bunch of the liquid and turn it into more of a pot of pasta then a soup!
If you want, when freezing, you could freeze the soup at completion, before adding tortellini, then freshly cook and add the tortellini the day you plan to serve. This is up to you, it is good either way.
- 2 lbs rotisserie chicken chunked
- 12 oz of cheese tortellini cooked according to package directions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup yellow onion diced fine
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 Tbs minced garlic
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups packed baby spinach roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- a dash of pepper
- In a large pot, over medium high heat, melt the butter and sauté the carrots, onions, and celery for 6-8 minutes or until the onions start to turn translucent.
- Add the garlic to the same pot, and and cook for 30 seconds or until it’s fragrant.
- At this point, start your tortellini. Cook according to package directions. Usually this means boiling for 6-8 minutes, so plan to have it done around when the rest of your soup is finished.
- Add the flour to your pot with your veggies, and stir well, continue cooking for a minute or two until a very light golden color.
- Add in the chicken stock, and stir well while adding. This will keep the flour mixture from clumping, and keep it lose.
- Add whipping cream (you can use milk)
- Allow soup to come to a boil, stir frequently so nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot. Add the chicken, tortellini, baby spinach, and seasonings, and stir.
- Put half away using GLAD containers, to use for on the go lunches, or another meal. You may want to leave tortellini out, to be added later so they don’t soak up too much liquid. .
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!