Bolognese Bruschetta is the hearty, comforting winter version of traditional bruschetta that makes an ideal appetizer that will be the hit of every party!
Love it? Pin it to your APPETIZER board to SAVE it!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Traditional bruschetta is typically slices of toasted baguette piled high with fresh ripened tomatoes, basil, garlic, mozzarella and olive oil. Its fresh ingredients make an ideal, bright summery appetizer. To convert this light appetizer into a comforting winter version, I created Bolognese Bruschetta! Because after all, Bolognese and bread go together like peanut butter and jelly. I can’t devour a big bowl of spaghetti Bolognese without a big piece of Italian bread to help seep up all the extra sauce.
This Bolognese Bruschetta boasts all of the same delectable elements of traditional bruschetta starting with slices of baguette that you top with mozzarella and toast to golden bubbly perfection. I could devour all the cheesy bread by itself – but it gets better. Next, you top with heavenly semi-homemade bolognese that is quick and easy to whip up but bursting with flavor. You simply brown your beef and onions, add some hand-picked Italian spices, splashes of balsamic and sugar and some jarred marinara. By jazzing up jarred marinara, you are able to achieve a sauce with multidimensional flavors that tastes like you have been simmering it for hours instead of just 10 minutes. Next, you top with freshly grated parmesan. As much or as little as you like. Finally, top with fresh basil and you have Bolognese Bruschetta!
Not only is Bolognese Bruschetta easy, cheesy and comforting, it makes the perfect party appetizer because you can slice the bread and cheese and simmer the Bolognese in advance so when it comes time to serve, the appetizer comes together super quickly. You can prep it all, or you can even bring the mozzarella bread to the table/and or “bar” and have everyone top their own cheesy toasts with Bolognese and as much Parmesan and basil as they want. But one thing is for certain, your guest won’t be able to stop eating this Bolognese Bruschetta!
- French baguette sliced into 32 slices
- 32 slices mozzarella to fit baguette slices about 8 oz.
- 8 oz. ground sirloin or lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup store-bought marina
- 1/2 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes drained
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- dash of red pepper flakes optional
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- Basil chiffonade
- Brown beef and onions in a large skillet until beef is cooked through. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add all remaining Bolognese ingredients, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line baguette slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Top with mozzarella slices and broil until mozzarella is golden in some places.
- Top each bruschetta slice with about 1 tablespoon Bolognese. Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan and basil.
You might also like: