Classic Slow Cooker Tomato Soup is full of rich, comforting, homemade flavors that are perfect for busy weeknights thanks to the crock pot!
Weeknight meals often need to be simple but still delicious and using a crock pot to make Slow Cooker Classic Tomato Soup will show you just how amazing easy meals can be. Canned diced tomatoes, onion, carrots, seasonings, veggie broth, and cream simmer together while you work to make a magical meal the family will love!
A Heavy Rotation Classic
There are some dishes we make every week at certain times of the year and when the weather gets chilly, this Slow Cooker Tomato Soup moves into our weekly meal plan! It’s so easy to keep most of the ingredients on hand and popping it all into the slow cooker before we hit the road means that I can have dinner on the table in no time after I walk back in the door. We change what we serve with it, so it doesn’t get boring and it’s something to look forward to each week!
Other Recipes to Serve with Slow-Cooker Tomato Soup
- Two popular sides are often served with tomato soup, bread, and grilled cheese, and Cheesy Garlic Bread is like combining the two for a crazy delicious and perfect side to this soup!
- Want to take your soup to the next level? Homemade Bread Bowls are easy to make and you won’t have to wash as many dishes after dinner!
Pantry Items: You will need a couple of large cans of diced tomatoes and a few cups of vegetable broth/stock.
Veggies: Carrots and onions are needed for this recipe.
Refrigerated Items: Butter and half & half are both needed for this soup. You can use either salted or unsalted butter and you can also use fat-free half & half or even whole milk if you have it on hand.
Seasoning: For this soup, you will need dried oregano, dried thyme, garlic powder, a bay leaf, and salt and pepper.
How to Make Slow Cooker Tomato Soup
STEP ONE: Start by adding the canned diced tomatoes, veggie broth, vegetables, seasonings, and then the butter and half & half to a crock pot. Stir to mix the ingredients.
STEP TWO: Place the lid on the crock pot and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
STEP THREE: Scoop half of the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Repeat with the last half of the soup, and then pour the soup back into the crock pot to keep warm until you are ready to serve.
Tips for Success
- Do you have a favorite type of canned tomato? You can use that in this soup! If you know you love cooking with canned whole tomatoes or delicious fire-roasted canned tomatoes, or whatever your fav may be, then feel free to use that in this recipe.
- Immersion blenders make easy work of blending this soup, and it’s easier than transferring everything back and forth from a blender, so if you have an immersion blender, you can use that instead.
- Tomato soup will store well in an airtight container in the fridge for about three days, but you can also freeze bowl-sized portions in freezer bags for easy meals. When frozen, the soup will last for up to three months.
How can I make tomato soup taste better?
For those who are not big fans of tomato soup or feel like something is missing, there are a few ways to inject more flavor into this soup. The first and easiest step to take is to add fresh herbs and seasonings. The recipe above called for dry seasonings, which are great and total time savers, and the reason they are used. That being said, if you have the time to pick up fresh herbs like thyme, oregano, and basil, you’ll be able to taste that freshness in the soup. Adding parmesan cheese to the soup brings a salty, nutty flavor to the soup, and croutons or pine nuts provide a great crunchy texture. Try a few ideas and create a perfect soup for you and your family!
What vegetables or sides go well with tomato soup?
You can’t get any more classic than serving grilled cheese or warm crusty bread with a bowl of tomato soup! Other vegetables can be added to tomato soup, like spinach, leeks, or celery. Since this soup is blended before serving, you can toss some of your favorite veggies in, and once everything is blended, you won’t even have to tell the family exactly what’s in it. They’ll only know it tastes amazing! A wonderful side salad is also great to serve with this soup for when you want more veggies with your meal.
Celebrate soup season with these favorites
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- One Pot White Chicken Lasagna Soup
- Skinny Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Cheese Soup
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
*This post was originally posted on 11/28/2016.
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker in the order listed. Stit everything together.
- Cover the slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Pour 1/2 of the soup ingredients into a blender. Cover and puree until smooth. Repeat with the remaining soup ingredients. (You could also use an immersion blender right in the slow cooker if desired.)
- Pour all of the soup back into the slow cooker and serve immediately or turn the slow cooker to WARM until you're ready to serve. Be sure to give the soup a stir before serving.