Baked with buttery garlic and topped with two kinds of cheese, this Cheesy Garlic Bread is the perfect side for any pasta dish or salad!
Bread doesn't technically qualify as its own meal, but this Cheesy Garlic Bread is so good you might find yourself eating it on its own. Starting with a fresh French baguette and then baking butter, garlic, and cheese into it creates a masterpiece that I can never say no to. This bread served on the side of your favorite pasta will perfectly complete your meal. I even use this recipe as creative sandwich bread for some leftover crock pot pulled pork. Talk about the best sandwich ever!
A Cheesy Garlic Bread loaf is the easiest side dish to throw together in a hurry. It's also the kind of side that everyone at the table is guaranteed to love! Warm, flakey, and flavorful you can serve this loaf of cheesy garlic pull apart bread cut into slices and let your guests pull it apart themselves. If one thing is for sure it's that you won't have any leftovers at the end of the meal.
CHEESY GARLIC BREAD INGREDIENTS
French Bread- You can find French bread in pretty much any grocery store. If possible I try to buy mine the day I plan on using it because I absolutely love fresh bread.
Cheese- You will need about 1 1/2 cups each of shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese. You can buy the cheese pre-shredded or choose to grate it yourself from a block of cheese. I like to grate the cheese myself because it melts better.
Seasoning- It's as simple as garlic powder and Italian seasoning. If you prefer to use fresh or pre-minced garlic, you'll need about 4 cloves of garlic that's been minced.
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY GARLIC BREAD
STEP ONE: Start by cutting your French Baguette loaf in half lengthwise and placing it on a baking sheet lined with foil. Then mix together the butter, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning in a small bowl.
STEP TWO: Next, top the cut side of each bread half with 1/2 of the garlic butter. Be sure to spread it edge to edge.
STEP THREE: Top each loaf with 3/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, followed by 3/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. I usually have to pile it on to get all the cheese on top.
STEP FOUR: Place the baking sheet in the oven and broil on HIGH for approximately 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bread is golden around the edges. Keep a close eye on the bread so it doesn't overcook. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with parsley and cut into slices.
Tips for Success
- The cheese is going to melt over the sides of the bread. We like it that way. If you prefer, start with 1/2 cup of each cheese on each bread half. You can always add more cheese on top and broil again to melt the second layer of cheese.
- If you can't get your hands on a French bread loaf, baguettes or Italian bread are fine to use. You won't need as much cheese for the baguette since it's thinner.
- Feel free to change up the cheese combinations! Moneterey jack, pepper jack, sharp cheddar, and Parsmean are all great options.
WHAT DO YOU EAT WITH CHEESY GARLIC BREAD?
What don't you eat with this best Cheesy Garlic Bread recipe? I think the ultimate meal pairing would have to be this Chicken Parmesan Casserole and Cheesy Garlic Bread duo. It's just such an indulgently delicious dinner! I also love it served next to Lemon Italian Chicken, which is equally delicious but somewhat of a lighter entree.
You can also never go wrong with soup, salad, and breadsticks! Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage goes perfect with a basket of homemade Cheesy Garlic Bread. Served with a wedge salad, why would you ever have to visit a café for lunch ever again?
TRY THESE OTHER GREAT SIDE DISH RECIPES
- Honey Jalapeno Cornbread Biscuits
- Low Carb Cauliflower Breadsticks
- Homemade Cheese Bread
- Mamaw's Dinner Rolls
- Sweet Potato Rolls
*This post originally posted on 02/22/2015.
- 1 loaf French bread
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder divided
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Fresh parsley finely chopped, for garnish
- Slice the French bread in half lengthwise. Place onto a baking sheet lined with foil.
- In a small bowl, stir together the butter, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning until well combined.
- Spread the garlic butter onto the cut side of each french bread half. Be sure to get the butter all the way to the edges.
- Top each french bread section with half of each cheese. I usually have to pile it up. (You can start with 1 cup of each cheese and add more as desired.)
- Broil on HIGH until the cheese is melted and a little brown, about 5 minutes. Just keep an eye on things since oven temps can vary.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cutting board. Slice each french bread half into 6 or 7 slices and serve warm. Sometimes I sprinkle a little parsley on top for color, but that's optional.
Leave a Reply