Made with a mushroom Marsala wine sauce, this delicious Chicken Marsala is traditional Italian fare worthy of company or a simple family dinner!
This is hands down the best Chicken Marsala recipe and I just know it will be one of your new favorite weeknight dinner ideas! I always thought chicken marsala recipes would be tricky to make to get things just right, but this Italian chicken recipe is so easy to make and come out perfect every time!
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Real Housemoms TV
Several years ago, my husband was transferred to Italy for his job. He spent six months in the Abruzzo region of central Italy. Italy treated him to some of the most amazing food and wine imaginable, and ever since we’ve come to really appreciate some of the most simple, delicious Italian recipes, like this Chicken Marsala.
What is Chicken Marsala
Chicken Marsala is native to Sicily, Italy where Marsala wine is produced. It is a variation of the traditional Italian scaloppine dish, where thin cuts of meat, in this case, chicken are dredged in flour, fried and then added to a redux sauce. This Marsala wine sauce is subtle and sweet. It includes mushrooms and scallions for a wonderful complimentary flavor which pairs perfectly with the tender chicken cutlets. Marsala wine can be found in many grocery stores, often where you would locate your other cooking wines and kinds of vinegar.
This deliciously simple Chicken Marsala recipe comes together quickly and easily. From start to finish, it takes about 30 minutes making it a meal perfect for just about any night of the week.
How to Cook Chicken Marsala
- Dredge chicken in flour, and then cook in a hot, oiled skillet until cooked through and browned. Set aside.
- Sautee onions and mushrooms in the same skillet. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Make a roux in the same skillet with butter and flour. Whisk in the wine and cook until thickened.
- Add the vegetables and chicken back to the skillet and combine until everything is coated in the chicken marsala sauce.
Feel free to pair it with a light pasta side dish, or go for a fresh, crisp side salad like an Heirloom Tomato Salad. Since the Marsala sauce is on the sweeter side, I would recommend pairing this dish with a fresh, crisp Chardonnay or a light Pinot Noir.
Try some of my other favorite chicken dinners!
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Cheesy Crock Pot Chicken and Rice
- Creamy Broccoli and Mushroom Chicken
- One Pan Chicken Stroganoff
- Honey Butter Chicken
- More dinner recipes…
Tools used to make this easy Chicken Marsala recipe
Large skillet: This skillet is my go-to kitchen tool. It’s large circumference and high sides make it perfect for cooking anything from one pan meals to soups and sauces.
Dredging Trays: These trays are the best when I’m coating meat for dinner. They interlock so there’s no drip between trays and everything is easy to manage!
Tongs: A good pair of tongs is a kitchen essential. I like having a couple sizes – a longer set for grilling and a shorter set for stovetop cooking.
- 1 pound chicken breast cutlets thin-sliced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 2 medium shallots thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 1 c.up chicken broth
- To the chicken cutlets, lightly salt and pepper each side. Dredge the seasoned chicken in the 1/2 cup of flour.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add the olive oil. Place the floured chicken cutlets into the skillet and saute on each side for approximately 3 minutes. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- To the same skillet, add the shallots and saute for approximately 3 minutes or until slightly translucent. Add the mushrooms and saute for 3 more minutes. Add the garlic, and saute for 1 more minute. Remove from the skillet and set aside in a bowl.
- To the hot skillet add the butter and let melt. Add the flour and mix until a paste forms, and saute for about 1 minute stirring constantly. Add the Marsala wine, and bring to a simmer.
- As soon as the sauce thickens, add the chicken broth, and stir until slightly thick. Add back the mushroom mixture and chicken to the sauce. Coat the chicken with the sauce, and remove from heat. Serve right away.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!