Instant Pot Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage is a hearty side dish! Made in a flash, this 3-step soup is packed with flavor!
I love this Instant Pot Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage! It tastes like it’s been simmering all day when in reality, it only took me 10 minutes of actual work to make. What could be better on a cold night or a busy day than simple Italian sausage and tortellini soup?!
I usually buy the refrigerator tortellini in bulk and freeze the rest for later. So I like to have other tasty tortellini recipes, like this cold Tortellini Pasta Salad, in mind.
INSTANT POT TORTELLINI AND ITALIAN SAUSAGE SOUP
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SOUP board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
This soup is constantly on my fall meal prep rotation because I almost always have the ingredients on hand. You can use fresh or frozen tortellini in this recipe stuffed with whatever you choose! I usually pair the sweet Italian sausage with cheese tortellini. Yum!
This Instant Pot tortellini soup is packed with Italian flavor and hearty veggies! Mix and match with what you have on hand, but this is my ideal combination.
What is Tortellini?
There are so many types of pasta, it’s hard to keep track of tagliatelle versus tortellini and macaroni versus rigatoni.
Tortellini are similar to ravioli. They’re ring-shaped pasta and can be stuffed with anything from a cheesy filling to spinach, ground meat, even pumpkin!
While there is a debate as to just what city first made this delicious stuffed pasta, there’s no debate on how delicious they are!
Tortellini Soup Ingredients
- Italian sausage – I like using mild, but hot will work too
- Yellow onion
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Canned red kidney beans
- Tomato paste
- Italian seasoning
- Dried oregano
- Bay leaf
- Beef broth
- Fresh parsley (or maybe even some fresh basil!)
- Parmesan cheese
It looks like a lot of ingredients, but this is basically a dump and make soup. You can also swap the beef broth for chicken or vegetable broth. You can skip the veggie prep and use a bag of frozen mixed veggies in a pinch too.
This tortellini soup is perfect as an appetizer soup, a soup and salad combo dinner, or a main dish! There’s always a reason to make this soup, summer or winter.
How to Make Tortellini Soup
- Start with your Instant Pot on Sauté mode and brown your Italian sausage (no olive oil needed). Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat while it cooks.
- Once the sausage is cooked, you’re ready to start adding the tortellini and everything else into the pot!
- Then you’ll add the lid and lock it in place before setting the steam valve to sealing. Cook your soup on manual (high pressure) for 5 minutes.
- After it’s done, open the steam valve for quick release and check your tortellini. If you want it a little softer, turn the pot back on Sauté mode for a few minutes until it’s perfect! Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve this soup while it’s warm, garnished with parsley and parmesan!
It’s that easy! Take a break or work on other dishes while the Instant Pot makes you Italian sausage tortellini soup in a flash.
What to serve with tortellini soup
My family loves to pair my tortellini soup with a Pizza Grilled Cheese for a quick weeknight dinner. This meal pairing has minimal prep, minimal cleanup, and it’s so easy the kids can help make it!
For a simple soup and salad combo, try this Italian Chop Salad.
If I’m making more of a full meal, this One Pan Baked Italian Chicken and Tomatoes is a super simple dish. You can even make the soup while it bakes.
Want to make it a countertop cooker only evening? Pair the Instant Pot tortellini soup with this Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Dinner. It brings me back to my grandmother’s kitchen.
Other Comforting Side Dish Recipes
- Leftover Ham Soup with Lentils
- Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad
- Crockpot Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Dates, and Apples
- Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- More SIDE DISH recipes…
Tools used to make this Instant Pot Tortellini Soup recipe
Instant Pot: I don’t give into kitchen fad gadgets easily, but this Instant Pot is life-changing! It’s so many devices in once and can make literally anything in less time and with less work.
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes
- 14 ounces kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 ounces tortellini fresh or frozen
- 6 cups beef broth
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Grated parmesan cheese for garnish
- Set your Instant Pot to Sauté mode and cook the Italian sausage until browned and cooked through. Be sure to break up the meat as it cooks.
- Add all remaining soup ingredients to the pot. Close and lock the lid, and et the steam valve to sealing. Set Instant Pot to manual (high pressure) for 5 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle has completed, open the steam valve carefully for a quick release. When the pin drops, remove the lid. Discard the bay leaf and check tortellini is cooked to your preference. If a softer pasta is required, turn on sauté and cook an additional 2 to 4 minutes.
- Serve warm garnished with chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese, if desired.