One of the easiest recipes ever! This Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Cheese Soup require virtually zero morning prep – just dump and go!
Creamy, cheesy, melty perfection, this Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Cheese Soup is the easiest set-it-and-forget-it soup recipe that you’ll ever make! Add frozen hash browns, diced onion, and ham to the slow cooker with chicken broth and seasoning. Add some cream cheese and shredded cheddar eight hours later, and you’ll have a nice warm meal. It’s so good the next time you make this soup. You’ll be excited about it all day long!
COMFORT IN A BOWL
This recipe is seriously easy, but that doesn’t mean that it lacks flavor! This soup hits all the notes of your favorite restaurant soup, and the best part is that you’ll have leftovers to enjoy again the next day.
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH HAM AND POTATO CHEESE SOUP
- Homemade Bread Bowl – Did you know that you can make your own bread bowls for soup and hot dips?
- BLT Salad – Make it a soup and salad night for the whole family!
Broth: You’ll need 32 ounces of chicken broth for this recipe. Remember that low-sodium options can change the flavor of the soup.
Veggies: To keep this soup simple, I use a bag of frozen southern-style hash browns and a scoop of frozen diced onion.
Ham: Again, keep it simple! You can buy diced ham in the deli section of the grocery store or keep this recipe in mind for leftovers after the holidays!
Seasoning: You’ll need garlic powder, dried thyme, salt, and pepper.
Dairy: The final touch to this soup is the addition of cream cheese and shredded cheddar to make it creamy, cheesy, and delicious!
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER HAM AND POTATO CHEESE SOUP
STEP ONE: Start with a 6-quart slow cooker. Add frozen southern-style hash browns, diced yellow onion, chicken broth, and diced ham in the bag. Season the soup with garlic powder, dried thyme, and pepper. Stir the contents of the slow cooker.
STEP TWO: Cover the slow cooker and set it to low. Allow the soup to cook for 8 hours without opening the lid. Once the 8 hours have passed, add the low-fat cream cheese to a blender and a ladleful of broth and potatoes. Cover and blend the cream cheese mixture until it is smooth.
STEP THREE: Add the blended cream cheese mixture to the slow cooker with the soup. Next, add in the grated cheddar cheese and stir until melted. Once the soup is ready, taste the seasoning and add salt and pepper. Serve the Ham and Potato Cheese Soup while it’s still hot.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Pre-shredded cheese and cheese shredded fresh off the block never melts. Your soup will come out perfectly creamy when you make the effort to grate the cheese yourself.
- You don’t need to add a lot of soup when blending the cream cheese into the soup base. Just enough to get the blender mixing will do.
- I like to add a little chopped parsley over the soup, along with some extra cheese and ham once I’ve ladled it into bowls.
VARIATIONS ON THIS SLOW COOKER SOUP
One of the biggest advantages of this recipe is how quickly you can throw it together. You can play around with this soup recipe and keep it super simple. Sometimes, depending on my mood, I like to play around with adding some extra veggies like corn and carrots. Again, I keep it simple and stick with frozen veggies, so prepping this soup is still a breeze! You can also add celery and peas if you’re feeling adventurous.
Sometimes, I top my bowl with a dollop of sour cream and some crumbled bacon. Sure, that’s more of a loaded baked potato garnish, but hey- my soup, my rules.
HOW TO STORE AND REHEAT HAM AND POTATO CHEESE SOUP
Allow leftover soup to cool down to room temperature before placing it in an airtight container in the fridge. I love to portion out my leftover soup into smaller containers so it’s easy to reheat for lunch the next day. You can reheat or microwave this soup in a saucepan on the stove. If microwaving, reheat it in intervals, stirring it in between to reincorporate any separated dairy. This soup does not freeze well because of the dairy components, but it will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
OTHER SOUP RECIPES FOR CHILLY DAYS
- Roasted Garlic and Cauliflower Soup
- Skinny Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Weight Watchers Cabbage Soup
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Beef Noodle Soup
*This post was originally posted on 10/29/2017.
- To a 6-quart slow cooker, add the frozen hash brown potatoes, onion, chicken broth, ham, garlic powder, thyme, and pepper. Stir everything together.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
- When the cooking time is up, add the cream cheese to a blender, and scoop a ladleful of broth and hot potatoes into the blender with the cream cheese. (You just need enough soup to get the blender moving.) Cover and blend until smooth.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture back into the rest of the soup still in the slow cooker. Add the shredded cheddar and stir until melted.
- Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste as needed. Serve warm with bread and butter.