If you are looking for a super easy side dish that packs a ton of flavor then this BLT Salad is going to be your new favorite summer recipe!
There’s nothing better than a cool, crispy bite of salad on a warm night. Well, there is if the salad you are eating also has salty, crispy bacon in it. This BLT Salad is the most flavorful and satisfying salad I have ever had and makes the perfect summer side dish.
I love serving it alongside my favorite pork chop recipes or at a backyard barbecue. Toss these delicious ingredients together and you are sure to have a new hit on your hands.
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SIDE DISH pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
The perfect salad of course needs the perfect dressing to complete it. I can’t think of a better BLT Salad dressing than my favorite Avocado Ranch Dressing. This creamy and tangy dressing is the perfect complement to the salty crunch of the bacon and the acidic veggies.
Now I know there might be some of you out there who are not obsessed with ranch dressing, and that’s okay! This Easy Italian Dressing is also a great way to finish off this amazing salad!
WHAT IS A BLT SALAD?
Mixed Greens- Any blend of your favorite mixed greens will do! Whether you like your greens fancy, dark and leafy, or prefer a simple lettuce mix, this salad will be packed with flavor regardless!
Bacon- When it comes to bacon I only have two rules. First, there is no such thing as too much bacon. Second, the crispier the bacon, the better!
If you haven’t tried it yet, try cooking the bacon in the oven. Clean-up is a breeze and it turns out perfectly crisp every time.
Cherry Tomatoes- Cherry tomatoes come in varying shapes, sizes, and colors depending on the season, but any will make a great addition to this salad. You can simply half the tomatoes or quarter them if you prefer smaller chunks.
Purple Onion- Once you chop the onion soak it in water and then thoroughly drain it. This process will take away some of the onions’ bite making them more mild and sweet.
Colby Jack Cheese- You can buy the cheese pre-shredded of course, but I always prefer the taste of freshly grated cheese. To me, it’s worth a little extra time and effort.
HOW TO MAKE BLT SALAD
This salad is almost too easy to make, but that is part of why I love it so much!
- First, place a large skillet over medium heat. Then cook the bacon until it’s nice a crispy. Once the bacon is cooked, transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and cool down. Once it’s cooled, chop the bacon into small pieces.
- After that, chop or dice the red onion. Then run the onion under cool water for 1 minute. This will take away that really oniony bite. Pat it dry with a paper towel.
- Next, place the mixed greens, chopped bacon, tomatoes, onions, and shredded cheese into a large serving bowl. Then toss the salad ingredients together.
- When you are ready to serve, drizzle with Dressing and toss it all together in the bowl.
That’s it! Enjoy your new favorite salad! If you want to make this salad more of a protein-packed meal, you can add grilled chicken, steak, or even shrimp.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BLT SALAD
This avocado BLT Salad is good enough to serve on its own, but it also makes an amazing co-pilot to some other great side dish options!
If you’re barbecuing, try pairing it with a side of crispy Grilled Parmesan Garlic Bread.
Need more inspiration? Check out these 25 Barbecue Side Dishes for Summer.
TRY THESE OTHER SALAD RECIPES
- Honey Mustard Chicken Salad
- Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Easy BLT Pasta Salad
- Easy Wedge Salad
- Ranch Salad Pasta
- More SIDE DISH recipes…
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS BLT SALAD RECIPE
Salad Bowl– The perfect BLT Salad Recipe deserves the perfect presentation! This bowl is great for serving guests.
Salad Tongs– Salad tongs are a must! With so many awesome mix-ins, you are gonna want a little bit of everything in each bite.
*This post originally posted on 05/29/2015.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon until crispy, flipping as needed. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Once cool enough to handle, chop the bacon into small pieces.
- Dice or chop the red onion. Run the onion pieces under cool water for 1 minute and then pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place the lettuce in a large serving bowl. Top with bacon, onion, tomatoes, and cheese. Toss together.
- When ready to serve, top the salad with dressing and toss again.