Strawberries and Cream Swiss Roll is a refreshing summer cake that is sure to impress and satisfy your guests!
One of my favorite summer combos is strawberries and cream. In fact, I’m sitting here eating a bowl of strawberries and ice cream (topped with fudge of course) as I write this. I could seriously eat that and waffles with strawberries and whipped cream every single day and not get sick of it. This combo is also great on or in cake like this gorgeous Swiss roll. A perfectly refreshing summer dessert that is loved by all!
Cake rolls look really fancy as well as complicated but they are actually quite easy to make. I was intimidated by them for the longest time but I made my first one ever not even a year ago and fell in love with not just the look but also the taste/texture and even the fun unique process.
The cake doesn’t have much fat (oil or butter) in it which makes it more pliable and easy to roll up. What’s also nice about not having much fat is that you can feel a little less guilty about the yummy creamy goodness that is all spiraled up in it. Oh and since it is such a thin cake it also takes very little time to bake which is extremely nice in the summer when you’re battling the heat.
In addition to a spiral of cream filling this cake also has a thin layer of strawberry jam. I’m a bit of a jam snob and prefer homemade Strawberry Freezer Jam but if you must, you can use store bought. But for real, the taste of homemade jam is so much better.
If you’re looking for a delicious treat to share (and to impress), bring this refreshing cake to your next summer dinner party. Enjoy!
Get more great recipes like this on our Real Housemoms Dessert pin board!
For the cake:
- 4 eggs room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoons salt
For the filling:
- 6 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 1/4 cup Cool Whip thawed
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (set to 325 if using a very dark pan). Grease a 15x10x1 inch pan with cooking spray and then cover with parchment paper and then grease the parchment payer.
- Lay a tea towel on a flat work surface and sprinkle well with powdered sugar and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs on high for 3 minutes until pale in color. Continue beating as you slowly add in the sugar. Add the oil, buttermilk, vinegar, and vanilla. Beat for 1 more minute. Add in the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Pour batter into pan and tilt to even out the batter.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until it springs back when touched.
- When done, immediately invert the cake onto the towel. Remove the parchment paper and then roll the cake in the towel starting at the short end. Set on a wire rack and allow it to cool completely.
For the Filling:
- Beat cream cheese with powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Mix in cool whip until creamy. Refrigerate until cake has cooled completely and ready to fill.
- Unroll the cake and spread the jam all over the cake ½-inch from the edges. Apply the filling evenly over the jam. Roll the cake back up and place seam side down on a platter. (Some of the filling will gush out while rolling. Just discard whatever comes out.) Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. Dust with powdered sugar, garnish with fresh strawberries, slice, and serve.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!