This classic vanilla cake roll is made even more delicious when you top it with fresh seasonal berries!
Need a simple and delicious dessert idea for your next gathering? Look no further! This vanilla cake roll is bursting with a vanilla flavor and when topped with fresh berries and a sprinkle of confectioners sugar, it really is divine and did I mention pretty too?!
You can easily swap out the fresh strawberries with raspberries, blackberries, or even a mixture of your favorites! You could even use coconut extract in place of the vanilla extract for a more tropical flavor that is just perfect for the summer time!
For the Cake Roll:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries or berries of your choice
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
For the Cake Roll:
- In a large bowl beat eggs for 2-3 minutes. Gradually add sugar until mixture is thick, approximately 2-3 minutes. Beat in water and vanilla
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; fold into egg mixture
- Spread batter into waxed paper lined 15 in. X 10 in. X 1 in. baking pan.
- Bake cake at 375 degrees for 12-13 minutes.
- Place cake on a confectioners sugar covered kitchen towel; gently peel off waxed paper.
- Roll up cake in the towel in a jelly-roll style, starting with the short side. Allow to cool completely.
For the Filling:
- Combine flour and milk in a small saucepan until smooth. Cook and allow mixture to come to a boil, stir for a minute longer ( mixture will be thick) and remove from heat. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl. cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla and salt.
- Gradually beat in cooled milk mixture and beat until filling is light and fluffy.
- Unroll the cake roll and spread mixture over the cake.
- Roll up the cake again without the towel.
- Place seam side down on a serving platter. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Place in refrigerator for 1 hour before serving.
- Combine berries and sugar and allow to set for 30 minutes before serving.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!