This classic vanilla cake roll is made even more delicious when you top it with fresh seasonal berries!
Need a simple and delicious dessert idea for your next gathering? Look no further! This vanilla cake roll is bursting with a vanilla flavor and when topped with fresh berries and a sprinkle of confectioners sugar, it really is divine and did I mention pretty too?!
You can easily swap out the fresh strawberries with raspberries, blackberries, or even a mixture of your favorites! You could even use coconut extract in place of the vanilla extract for a more tropical flavor that is just perfect for the summer time!
For the Cake Roll:
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries or berries of your choice
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
For the Cake Roll:
- In a large bowl beat eggs for 2-3 minutes. Gradually add sugar until mixture is thick, approximately 2-3 minutes. Beat in water and vanilla
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; fold into egg mixture
- Spread batter into waxed paper lined 15 in. X 10 in. X 1 in. baking pan.
- Bake cake at 375 degrees for 12-13 minutes.
- Place cake on a confectioners sugar covered kitchen towel; gently peel off waxed paper.
- Roll up cake in the towel in a jelly-roll style, starting with the short side. Allow to cool completely.
For the Filling:
- Combine flour and milk in a small saucepan until smooth. Cook and allow mixture to come to a boil, stir for a minute longer ( mixture will be thick) and remove from heat. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl. cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla and salt.
- Gradually beat in cooled milk mixture and beat until filling is light and fluffy.
- Unroll the cake roll and spread mixture over the cake.
- Roll up the cake again without the towel.
- Place seam side down on a serving platter. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Place in refrigerator for 1 hour before serving.
- Combine berries and sugar and allow to set for 30 minutes before serving.