Angel Food Cake Berry Trifle is bursting with fresh berries, yummy cake, vanilla pudding & whipped cream. It’s perfect for any summer party!
No warm weather gathering is complete without light and fluffy Angel Food cake or sweet, refreshing fruit, so crank up the deliciousness up to an 11 by combining the two and make Angel Food Cake Berry Trifle! Create layers of Angel Food cake, your choice of fresh berries, and sweet whipped cream in no time for an amazing summer dessert!
A Summer Smash
Summer was made for all foods sweet and cooling, and this definitely means berries mixed with cake. It’s always a great time for cake, by the way. Backyard BBQs and especially Fourth of July are when friends and family ask (or politely demand) Angel Food Cake Berry Trifle and I’m right here with them! Making this trifle is super easy, and it’s a great make-ahead dessert so I can layer it together the night before or the morning of, and do all of the other million things I need to do. I know it’s going to taste incredibly good by the time we’re ready to serve it.
Other Recipes to Serve with Angel Food Cake Berry Trifle
- Berries are also so delicious in savory foods, like Berry Avocado Grilled Chicken Salad– just one bite and you’ll be a believer!
- Warm weather also means mixing up your favorite Sangria recipes and Summer Berry Sangria is exactly what you’re craving!
Cake: For this trifle, you can choose to either purchase an Angel Food cake, pick up a box mix (plus the required ingredients listed on the back of the box) or you can make a homemade Angel Food Cake.
Produce Fresh sliced strawberries, as well as raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries, are all the fruit you will need for this trifle. Grab a little fresh mint too to garnish the dish. (You’ll also need a little sugar to macerate the strawberries.)
Whipped Cream: To make the whipped cream, you will need heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
Pudding: Grab a big box of instant vanilla pudding mix and some milk. If you can’t find the 5.1-ounce boxes, use two 3-ounce boxes instead.
How to Make Angel Food Cake Trifle
STEP ONE: Hull and slice the strawberries and mix them with sugar. Let the strawberries macerate for 15-30 minutes.
STEP TWO: Using a stand mixer or a bowl with beaters, beat the heavy whipping cream until frothy. Slowly add the vanilla extract and powdered sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form in the whipped cream. Mix the vanilla pudding and mix according to the package direction.
STEP THREE: Cut the Angel Food cake into 1-inch cubes and place half of the cake in the bottom of a trifle dish in an even layer or tall glass bowl. Add 1/3 of the mixed berries to the cake in an even layer. Then spread half of the vanilla pudding over the berries and half of the whipped cream over the pudding.
STEP FOUR: Repeat the layers to the top of the dish and then place a final layer of berries over the top. Garnish the trifle with a whole strawberry, sprig, or mint.
Tips for Success
- The type of berries you include in your trifle is up to you, so double up on your favorite berry if you kick one out or include them all!
- When assembling the trifle, work your way from the edge of the bowl into the middle. This will keep the layers neat and the presentation beautiful.
- When making this trifle ahead of time, wait to add the whipped cream topping until you’re ready to serve it. This will keep the whipped cream fresh and delicious.
- Store the trifle tightly wrapped in the refrigerator for up to three days. Freezing is not recommended because as the fruit thaws it will make the cake very soggy.
Can a trifle be made in advance?
Trifles are perfect for when you need to make a dessert in advance. Many trifles are made with custard, so the longer they are allowed to rest, the more the flavors develop and the more delicious the trifle will be. This berry trifle can be made in advance, but it doesn’t need to be. The berry juices may soak into the angel food cake the longer the trifle sits, which tastes wonderful, but that isn’t necessary to enjoy the trifle. Angel Food Cake Berry Trifle can be made in advance but wait to add the top layer of the whipped cream until you are ready to serve so that it doesn’t dry out.
How do you cut angel food cake?
Angel food cake is so soft and airy that it can be effortless to press too hard and squish it when cutting! After the angel food cake has cooled completely and been removed from the pan, use a large serrated knife, like the kind used to cut bread, and gently see the cake into slices. Allow the blade to do all of the work, and avoid pressing the knife down while cutting. The back-and-forth sawing motion will be enough to cut the cake into clean slices. From there, you can cube the slices to make a beautiful trifle.
More Delicious Ways to Enjoy Summer Berries!
- Brownie Strawberry Shortcake
- No-Bake Red White and Blue Cake
- Strawberries & Cream Poke Cake
- Triple Berry Red Wine Slushies
- Backyard Blackberry Sangria
*This post was originally posted on 04/11/2015.
- 4 cups strawberries hulled and sliced
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 5.1 ounces instant vanilla pudding mix (see note)
- 3 cups milk (2% or whole)
- 1 angel food cake prepared
- 6 ounces blackberries
- 18 ounces blueberries
- 12 ounces raspberries
- Fresh mint for garnish (optional)
- Add the strawberries to a medium mixing bowl. Pour in the granulated sugar, stir, and let sit to macerate for 15 to 30 minutes.
- In a stand mixer, whisk the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla on medium speed until it reaches stiff peaks. Set aside.
- Prepare the vanilla pudding according to the package directions. Set aside.
- Cut the angel food cake into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
- Add half of the angel food cake cubes to the bottom of a trifle bowl in an even layer. Top the cake with 1/3 of the berries. Spread half of the pudding over the berries and then top with half of the whipped cream, spreading it all the way to the edges.
- Repeat the layers once again. Finish the trifle by topping it with the remaining berries and a sprig of mint and/or a whole strawberry.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.