Looking for an easy dessert that’s perfect for a crowd? Try Brownie Strawberry Shortcake with its layers of fudgy chocolate brownie, creamy center, and it’s all topped with berries. Yum!
You don’t need to be an expert baker or cake decorator to have a gorgeous dessert at your next gathering or family celebration. Brownie Strawberry Shortcake is one of the easiest recipes and makes a stunning presentation so everyone will be amazed by your skills!
BROWNIE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE
Love it? Pin it to your DESSERT board to SAVE it!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest for more great recipes!
I’m all about Healthy Food Recipes, but when you’re celebrating, a cake is definitely in order! Here’s how I know this brownie shortcake satisfies everyone.
We hosted a friend’s birthday party a couple years ago and I didn’t know he wasn’t a fan of chocolate. (Honestly, I didn’t know that was possible 🙂 ) Excitedly I made this recipe. It was perfect for a mid-summer celebration. When it was time to serve the brownie cake, I could see the look on his face was not one of delight, so I asked why. He sheepishly said he wasn’t really into chocolate desserts, but was happy to have a slice of the shortcake. I’m sure it was just to be polite. Luckily all turned out well because he loved the cake! I think it was just the right amount of sweetness and the chocolate was perfectly balanced by the sour cream frosting. Yay! Another happy foodie!
Given the red, white the blue theme of the berries and frosting, you could serve this for Memorial Day, 4th of July or all summer long for a festive celebratory dessert.
Making the brownies in a round pan gives the shortcake a shape that can easily be cut in half once it’s cooled and layered with the sour cream frosting.
Brownie Strawberry Shortcake Tips
- You can use your favorite boxed brownie mix or make one from scratch. These Dark Chocolate Brownies would do the trick, but you’d probably need to double the recipe to have enough to cut in half and fill with frosting.
- This recipe is best if the brownies are a bit fudgy, so if your boxed brownie mix calls for two eggs, just use one. Also, do not over bake! That’s how you get your fudgy layers.
- Make sure you totally cool the brownie before you cut it in half. It’s even easier to frost if you place the brownie in the fridge for an hour or so.
- All types of berries work for the recipe, but you can also try kiwi or tangerines for a different twist.
Want more brownie recipes?
- Frosted Peanut Butter Brownies
- Mint Fudge Stuffed Brownies
- Almond Joy Brownies
- Birthday Brownies
- Chai Frosted Brownies
- More dessert recipes…
Tools used to make this Brownie Strawberry Shortcake recipe
9-inch Cake Pan: This pan is perfect for all your standard cakes. Just pour in the batter, bake, cool, and frost.
Mixing Bowl: These mixing bowls get used just about every day at my house. The grip handle makes them easy to hold and the pour spout makes them perfect for batters!
Cooking Rack: I keep a few of these cooling racks in my kitchen so I’m ready for any recipe I want to bake.
Knives: A good set of kitchen knives is essential for any cook. This set is the best one I’ve owned so far and it comes with a knife block, steak knives, and an array of larger knives perfect for all your slicing, chopping, and cutting needs.
Rubber Spatula: Rubber spatulas are one of those kitchen tools you don’t realize how much you use until they’re all dirty. This set of three spatulas in various sizes and shapes will make cooking everything from dinner to dessert a breeze.
- 18 oz to 20 oz. brownie mix + ingredients to prepare
- 16 oz sour cream divided
- 1 cup thawed Cool Whip Whipped Topping
- 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 pints strawberries and blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour 9-inch round pan.
- Prepare brownie mix as directed on package and stir in 1/2 cup sour cream. Pour into greased pan.
- Bake 45 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with fudgy crumbs. Do not over bake. Cool 10 min. Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Mix remaining sour cream, Cool Whip, sugar and vanilla until blended. Cut brownie horizontally in half. Place bottom layer on plate and frost with half the sour cream mixture. Place the next layer and top with remaining sour cream mixture and fruit. Enjoy!
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!