Satisfy your brownie craving in minutes with this fudgy and delicious single-serving Brownie in a Mug! So chocolatey and even better topped with ice cream and raspberries!
No need to make a whole pan of brownies, this Brownie in a Mug makes a single serving brownie in your microwave in minutes! This easy mug brownie is a dessert classic right up there with red velvet cake in my house. While this microwave mug brownie makes a big enough brownie for two, you’re under no obligation to share. Grab a spoon and dig in!
BROWNIE IN A MUG
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Oh, hi. I’m just over here eating my fourth Brownie in a Mug this week. Yes, this week. Don’t judge. I’m super late to the brownie mug cake craze, and I’m trying to make up for lost time.
I absolutely love small batch desserts, these Small Batch Vanilla Cupcakes are one of my most popular recipes! I often crave something sweet, yet I don’t want to make a recipe that yields dozens of servings (read: little-to-no self-control over here).
For those times that I need something rich, fudgy, and comforting IMMEDIATELY – I turn to this Brownie in a Mug recipe. It is unbelievably easy, and it has me diving into a warm brownie in a matter of minutes. Seriously, LESS THAN 5 MINUTES. Gah!
It took me a while to get this recipe exactly the way I wanted it. There are a lot of microwave mug brownie recipes floating around the internet, but none of them had everything I wanted. I wanted my brownie to be fudgy, tender, super chocolaty, and it had to be prepared in the actual mug. I did not want to dirty a bunch of dishes to make a mug brownie. I’m happy to report success! Here’s what I came up with…
How to make a brownie in a mug
- Start by mixing the dry ingredients in your mug – flour, sugar, cocoa, salt.
- Add the chocolate chips – these make our brownie fudgy!
- Stir in the wet ingredients – oil, vanilla, and milk.
- Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top (because, why not?!)
- Microwave it for about 90 seconds.
- Top it with your favorite garnishes: ice cream, whipped cream, powdered sugar, berries.
- Devour that beautiful thing!
Although this recipe makes one brownie in a mug, I would say that is definitely enough to serve two adults. It is very rich and satisfying, and a little goes a long way. Plus, if you’re like my family, we are definitely topping our brownie with vanilla ice cream, so that stretches it even further.
When baking small-batch or single serving recipes, it is important to measure your ingredients properly. I will also note that the texture of this brownie is just a teensy bit off from the typical fudgy brownie texture I love. But, seeing as how this is a single serving, made in one mug, in less than 5 minutes, I am not going to complain. This recipe will definitely satisfy a brownie craving.
Tips to make this easy mug brownie
- A standard size mug is fine. I have made this in a 12-ounce mug and a 16-ounce mug too.
- Don’t over mix your ingredients, which can lead to a tough brownie.
- Don’t overcook it. Microwaves vary, so start by cooking it 1 minute, and then an additional 15-30 seconds as necessary.
- Do not skip the chocolate chips.
- Looking for a fun twist? Try one of these: Add a dollop of raspberry jam to the brownie batter. Stir in some chopped peanut butter cups. Add a tablespoon of chopped walnuts. Drizzle the top with caramel sauce.
Now, what are you waiting for? You are a mere 5 minutes from diving into a warm brownie.
Ready for more brownie recipes?
- Pecan Pie Brownies
- Mexican Brownies
- Chewy Brownie Bites
- Birthday Brownies
- Frosted Peanut Butter Brownies
- More dessert recipes…
Tools used to make this Brownie in a Mug recipe
12-ounce Mugs: These classic white mugs are great for single-serving desserts or putting together an inviting coffee bar to state your day!
Small Whisk: This is my favorite set of whisks. There’s a size for every job and the thicker handles give me a good grip.
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips plus more for topping
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil (melted coconut oil or melted butter)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ice cream
- Whipped cream
- Powdered sugar
- Raspberries or strawberries
- Place sugar, flour, cocoa powder and salt in a mug (I use a 12-ounce mug). Use a small whisk or fork, and stir until combined, and free of lumps. Stir in chocolate chips. Add oil, milk, and vanilla, stir with a spoon or small rubber spatula until just combined (try not to over mix it). Sprinkle a few additional chocolate chips over the top.
- Cook in the microwave for about 90 seconds (microwave times may vary). Eat immediately with ice cream, whipped cream, powdered sugar, or berries.