Start a fun family tussle with Pecan Pie Brownies, a rich chocolaty brownie with a sweet pecan pie topping- it’ll be a mad dash for seconds!
Decadent and simple to make, Pecan Pie Brownies are a hit at Thanksgiving or any time of year! Using a brownie mix cuts down on time and ingredients, while stirring up the pecan pie topping only takes pecans, butter, corn syrup, sugar, and eggs for a truly memorable dessert.
Happy Little Squares
Some desserts were made to be together. Obviously, chocolate was made for everything delicious but pairing it with pecans has brought a new level of happiness to my life! Not only do we get to enjoy fudgy chocolate and a topping of crunchy, sweetened pecans, but this entire recipe is so simple to make. My kids love helping with all of the stirring and measuring but let’s be honest, they’re in it for the yummy reward! That’s ok, I am too.
Other Recipes to Serve with Pecan Pie Brownies
- Are you getting ready for Thanksgiving or just craving the best Sweet Potato Casserole, topped with crunchy pecans? This one is a must-make!
- Why not start the day in the best way possible – with more pecans! Caramel Apple and Pecan Pancakes are everything you dream about and more.
Brownies: Pick your favorite family-sized brownie mix so it will fill a 9×13 cake pan. Check the back of the box to see what additional ingredients you will need and get those as well.
Toppings: You will need pecans, corn syrup, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, eggs, and unsalted butter to make the pecan pie topping.
How to Make Pecan Pie Brownies
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9×13 baking dish. Prepare the brownies according to the directions on the box, and then pour the batter into the baking dish. Bake the brownies for 20 minutes or until the brownies are almost fully cooked but not completely.
STEP TWO: To make the topping, mix the eggs, corn syrup, sugar, butter, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl until everything is well-mixed. Stir in the pecans.
STEP THREE: After the brownies are mostly baked, pull the dish from the oven and pour the pecan pie topping over the top.
STEP FOUR: Bake the brownies for another 25 minutes and then remove them from the oven. Allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting and serving.
Tips for Success
- A family-sized brownie mix will fill a 9×13 cake pan. If you can’t find the family-size box, just pick up two boxes of regular-sized brownie mix. If you have a favorite homemade brownie recipe, you can also use that!
- When baking the brownies, you don’t want them fully cooked before placing the topping on, so pull them from the oven after they have been baking for 20 minutes or when they look almost done. Also, check the bake time on the back of the brownie mix box since cooking times can vary. You want to top the brownies 10 minutes before the directions say they should be done. This ensures a soft, perfectly cooked brownie but will also prevent the pecan pie topping from sinking.
- Chopped or whole pecans work for these brownies, so pick your favorite!
Do I have to use corn syrup in the topping?
Corn syrup is a great, cost-effective way to include a sweet syrup in recipes that require a lot of it but there are other syrups you can use. Agave syrup or maple syrup would be good choices in this recipe, as would honey. You need 1 1/2 cups of the syrup, so make sure you purchase enough bottles of agave, maple, or honey.
How long do these brownies last?
Fresh baked goods are always the best, but you can make these ahead of time and then keep them covered, either on the counter or in the refrigerator. These brownies will be good for up to four days on the counter, or you can freeze them after they have cooled completely for up to three months. If you freeze them, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and then put them in a freezer bag or other container. Let the brownies thaw in the fridge, and then you can simply pop a piece in the microwave for a few seconds if you like them warm.
You won’t want to miss any of these amazing pecan recipes!
- Fudgy Chocolate Pecan Pie
- Pecan Pie Recipe
- Pecan Pie Cheesecake
- Salted Caramel & Pecan Thumbprint Cookies
- Mini Caramel Pecan Pumpkin Truffles
*This post was originally posted on 11/08/2017.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch x 13-inch baking pan (glass or metal) and set aside.
- Prepare the brownie batter according to package directions. Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes (or 10 minutes less than the package directions indicate).
- While the brownies bake, mix together the sugar, corn syrup, eggs, butter, and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in pecans.
- After brownies have partially baked, remove the pan from the oven and pour the pecan pie filling over the top. Spread the topping into an even layer.
- Place the brownies back in the oven and bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until the filling only jiggles slightly in the middle when you move the pan.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and let cool to room temperature before cutting into 20 squares.