Salted Caramel & Pecan Thumbprints are a rich cookie rolled in pecans and filled with a decadent salted caramel frosting for a sweet dessert that is perfect for the holidays!
The holidays are coming at us fast and furious. I was in JoAnn Fabrics the other day and they had ROWS of Christmas decorations and ornaments. While part of it blows my mind and I’m not quite ready for it, the other part of me is excited that summer is ending and the season of holidays is upon us! I can’t wait to get started on my Christmas cookie baking and this year I started with Salted Caramel & Pecan Thumbprint Cookies!
SALTED CARAMEL & PECAN THUMBPRINT COOKIES
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
If you are looking for a great dessert to bring to that office party or holiday get-together, these thumbprint cookies are it! The cookies are dense but moist and the pecans they are rolled in are nice and toasted for added flavor and crunch. As for the salted caramel frosting, that I could basically eat by the spoonful, but I refrained for the most part and enjoyed it with the cookies for the perfect balance of sweetness.
Want more easy Christmas cookie recipes?
- Soft Chewy Gingersnap Cookies
- Peppermint Shortbread Cookies
- Santa Claus Cookies
- Chocolate Snowballs
- Buttered Rum Snickerdoodles
- Peppermint Patty Stuffed Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- More dessert recipes…
Tool used to make this Salted Caramel & Pecan Thumbprint Cookies recipe
- ¼ c. shortening
- ¼ c. butter or margarine
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- 1 c. all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 egg separated
- ¾ c. chopped pecans
- 2/3 c. caramels melted
- 1/3 c. whipping cream
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, mix shortening, butter, sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla until smooth. Blend flour and salt into the mixture. Roll into one inch balls, dip balls into slightly beaten egg white, then roll into chopped pecans. Arrange on a lined cookie sheet and indent the middle of each cookie gently with your thumb. Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes. Immediately upon removing the cookies from the oven, use your thumb to reinforce the indent in each cookie. Allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, melt the caramels in the microwave or over a double boiler. Mix the caramels with the whipping cream, powdered sugar, vanilla and sea salt. Mix until smooth.
- Top each thumbprint with icing and store in an airtight container.
- Freeze any extras the same day for the freshest cookies.
- *Recipe doubles and triples well for larger batches.
More delicious holiday treats!