Double all the festive fun and yum with everyone’s favorite treat to eat, Double Chocolate Chip M&M Cookies!
Soft, chocolaty, and loaded with joy, Double Chocolate M&M Cookies are a cinch to make with the family! Get your ice-cold milk, hot chocolate, or even some ice cream ready for a choc-tacular experience. A little butter, sugar flour, cocoa powder, and a whole lotta chocolate chips inside and out, topped with the light crunch of M&M’s is all you need to dive into chocolate bliss!
When is the best time to make these cookies?
Since there’s no such thing as too much chocolate, which is what makes these cookies so great, all the time is the best time to make them! The tender, brownie-like, chocolate deliciousness and crisp M&M’s create the kind of cookies that make you close your eyes, smile, and say, “mmmm!”
The other great thing about these cookies is how perfect they are for any occasion- we all scope out the cookie selection at get-togethers and these super chocolaty bites of perfection will be the first to disappear. Also, kids love to help make everyone’s favorite cookie and we should encourage that. Because then we get more cookies!
More Chocolate, Please
Nutty Triple Chocolate Chocolate Cookies takes your love of chocolate up a notch and adds creamy nut butter for that something special. These are perfect for when I get on a baking kick and I want my counter covered in chocolate cookies! I change up the nut butter I use sometimes depending on if I want more or less chocolate.
Slow Cooker Andes Mint Hot Chocolate is a decadent, homemade chocolate treat! Adding everything to a crockpot means it’s easy to make and we can sip it all day long. Creamy, chocolaty & minty, this drink pairs so deliciously with cookies and a cold day.
Wet Ingredients: Creaming your butter and sugar ensures a lighter, more fluffy cookie and the addition of brown sugar gives your cookies a richer flavor. Don’t forget to bring your butter to room temperature. You’ll also need a couple of room-temperature eggs and a splash of vanilla.
Dry Ingredients: Whisking your dry ingredients together is a great way to perfectly mix the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.
Chocolate: Grab your favorite chocolate chips and M&M’s and go wild!
How to Make Double Chocolate M&M Cookies
STEP ONE: Mix the butter and sugars together until fluffy in a large mixing bowl. Then add the eggs and vanilla and mix again.
STEP TWO: Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and M&M’s by hand and you’re so ready to get some cookies in the oven!
STEP THREE: Use a cookie scoop to drop the cookies, about 2 inches apart, on a greased baking sheet. Add a couple of chocolate chips and M&Ms on top. Once your oven preheats to 350 degrees F, bake the cookies for 13-14 minutes.
STEP FOUR Take the cookies out of the oven and press a few white chocolate chips on top if you want to add them. Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Tips for Success
- Creaming together the room temperature butter and sugars will make these cookies a little fluffier and more brownie like instead of dense.
- I love using some brown sugar in my chocolate cookies because it really brings out the buttery, chocolate flavor, but you can use all white sugar and the cookies will still be amazing!
- If you want to put the white chocolate chips on top of the cookies too, wait for after the cookies come out of the oven. If you add them before baking they’ll brown and look a little funky.All you have to do is gently press the white chocolate chips onto the warm cookies and let them cool on a wire rack before eating.
What M&M’s can I use?
You can use regular M&M’s, mini M&M’s, or even M&M’s baking bits – they all turn out fantastic! M&M’s are also perfect for adding seasonal or festive pizazz! Use red and green for Christmas, red and pink for Valentine’s Day, or your sports team’s colors. Whatever the occasion, there’s an M&M for that.
Can I substitute M&M’s for chocolate chips?
Yes! If you’re all out of chocolate chips from using them in other tasty recipes simply replace one 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips with an equal amount of M&M’s.
More Holiday Favorites
- Spinach Dip Stuffed Crescent Roll Christmas Tree
- Chewy Chocolate Cake Mix M&M Cookies
- Holiday Sangria
- 50 Must Make Christmas Cookies
- White Chocolate Cranberry Pistachio Fudge
*This post originally published on 12/06/2015.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips plus more for decorating
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips plus more for decorating
- 1/2 cup red and green M&Ms plus more for decorating
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugars until fluffy, about 1 minute. Mix in the eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Once combined, stir in the chocolate chips and M&Ms by hand.
- Drop cookies by tablespoonfuls onto the greased baking sheets, leaving about 2-inches between the cookies. Top each dough ball with two semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1 green M&M, and 1 red M&M. (Don't add the white chocolate chips on top, they'll brown.)
- Bake for 13-14 minutes until the cookies are mostly set. (They will finish setting up as they cool.) Leave the cookies on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.