Nutty Triple Chocolate Cookies are soft and chewy cookies made with THREE types of chocolate. They’re sure to be a hit at the cookie swap!
It is no secret that I love the holidays and one of my favorite holiday activities is baking cookies. Most months out of the year, my kids beg for their favorite cookie cake.
Around the holidays though, they beg for these homemade triple chocolate cookies. I am always happy to whip up a batch of these cookies! Not only are they are delicious, but also they’re a great healthier alternative to some other holiday desserts.
Triple Chocolate Cookies
Like this recipe? Pin it to your HEALTHY DESSERTS pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
INGREDIENTS AND VARIATIONS
Nut butter: As for the chocolate nut butter, you have tons of options. I used dark chocolate Nuttzo, but I also love PB&Co’s Dark Chocolate Dreams. If you are lucky enough to live by a Trader Joe’s they have an amazing Cocoa Almond Spread that is amazing in these triple chocolate chip cookies.
You can also take out one dimension of chocolatey goodness and use good old fashioned peanut butter if you prefer. These are still the best triple chocolate cookies, even if you knock them down a chocolatey notch.
Chocolate chips: Personally I love the classic semi sweet chocolate chips, but this recipe is easily adjustable. I have used mini milk chocolate chips which make for more tasty morsels in every bite! You could even try white chocolate chips if you happen to be a white chocolate enthusiast. Just be careful not to go too crazy with chocolate flavors depending on your nut butter of choice.
HOW TO MAKE TRIPLE CHOCOLATE COOKIES
Okay, let’s chat about these cookies. First and foremost- chocolate. These are hands down the best triple chocolate cookies ever.
They give you the ultimate chocolate fix with the ingenious combination of cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and chocolate nut butter. I firmly believe you can never have too much chocolate.
- In a medium bowl combine your flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and powder, and corn starch and set it aside
- To a large bowl, add the apple butter, nut butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract and mix until smooth. (I like to use my stand mixer with the paddle attachment in place.)
- Mix in your dry ingredients, making sure everything is well incorporated, and fold in your chocolate chips. Put the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- While your dough is chilling, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Then it’s time to line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- When your dough is ready, roll 1-inch balls and place them on your prepared baking sheets.
- Baking time is approximately 10 minutes, but be sure not to over bake! Bake just until the edges are set. Remove them from the oven and let them cool on the cookie sheet until room temperature.
These beauties will last for a week in an airtight container… if they manage to go uneaten by the end of that first day that is.
WHAT IS THE BEST CHOCOLATE FOR COOKIES
Truly the beauty of this recipe lies in its flexibility. I am a classic semisweet morsels kind of girl. What I love about this mix of three types of chocolates is I get to combine different levels of sweetness.
I love the bittersweetness of nice dark chocolate, but I also love the creaminess of chocolate nut butter. Feel free to customize with whatever chocolate you most adore.
As an added bonus – these cookies have no butter or oil and they are vegan, gluten-free, and whole-grain! I promise you that your friends and family will never know they are munching on a vegan cookie because they taste SO decadent. Plus, a healthier cookie means you get to eat more of them, right? Or at least that is my logic.
TRY THESE OTHER DESSERTS
- No Bake Triple Chocolate Ice Cream Pizza – a super simple dessert that combines two of my families favorite things
- Triple Chocolate Cupcakes – in case you need more triple chocolate desserts in your life these cupcakes are phenomenal
- Triple Berry Swirl Cheesecake Bars – in keeping with the triple theme, these cheesecake bars are to die for
- Pumpkin Cookies with Maple Frosting – because every cookie needs a friend for the holidays
- More dessert recipes…
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS TRIPLE CHOCOLATE COOKIES RECIPE
Silicone Baking Mat: I love never having to worry about if my cookies will over bake. This mat gives me perfect cookies every time.
Glass Mixing Bowls: I always mix my cookie dough in these mixing bowls. The clear sides make take all the guesswork out of whether or not my dry ingredients are all mixed in.
*This post originally posted on 12/06/0214.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (or gluten-free flour blend)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1 cup chocolate nut butter (peanut, almond, etc.)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and corn starch. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the apple butter, nut butter, sugars, and vanilla until smooth. Beat in dry ingredients until well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Fold in chocolate chips, and then refrigerate cookie dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Roll dough into 1-inch balls, then place on prepared baking sheets about 2-inch apart.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until the edges are just set. Do not overbake!
- Remove from oven and cool completely on cookie sheet. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.