Pearl Onion & Cheese Gratin is delicious and bursting with great flavors! It would be a wonderful side dish on Thanksgiving and would compliment turkey and mashed potatoes perfectly! I made it for a side dish for dinner last week and it was so yummy! I can’t wait to eat it again next week! Side dishes are my favorite part of Thanksgiving and I love adding new ones to the table each year! recipe from MyRecipes
- 20 ounces fresh pearl onions peeled (see note)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups white cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 3 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Preaht oven to 350 degrees F. Coat the bottom and sides of a 1-quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place pearl onions in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover them. Bring to boil. Then reduce heat and simmer 6 to 8 minutes or until onions are just tender. Drain well and set aside. (see note)
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Add flour, and whisk until smooth. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add half-and-half while whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until thickened.
- Add salt, pepper, mustard, and nutmeg. Add 1 cup shredded cheese; stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat, and gently stir in drained onions.
- Pour onion mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Pulse bread slices in a food processor to make 1 1/4 cups breadcrumbs. Toss breadcrumbs with melted butter and thyme until crumbs are well coated. Sprinkle evenly over cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated and top is golden. Remove from oven and serve warm.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!