- 2 10-ounce packages fresh pearl onions, peeled (I used frozen)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups 6 ounces shredded white Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1/4 cups fresh breadcrumbs Pulse 3 bread slices in a mini food chopper or food processor. It should yield 1 1/4 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Place onions in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to boil; reduce heat, and simmer 6 to 8 minutes or until onions are just tender (If using frozen onions, thaw and heat in the microwave or simmer on the stovetop for 3 to 4 minutes until onions are just tender. Drain well. Set aside)
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add half-and-half; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add salt and next 3 ingredients. Add 1 cup shredded cheese; stir until cheese melts. Gently stir in drained onions. Pour onion mixture into a lightly greased 1-quart baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Toss breadcrumbs with melted butter and thyme until crumbs are well coated. Sprinkle evenly over cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated and top is golden.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!