One of our favorite things to serve up along bugers and hot dogs in the summer is a big plate of Crispy Onion Rings!
I love a good burger and fries. Pair that up with chocolate milkshake and I’m in summer food heaven! But here and there, the craving hits. I want onion rings and I want them now! Earlier this month it was my husband, not me, who got the onion ring bug and he was relentless. Instead of running out and spending way more than either of us really wanted to on afix, I whipped up a big batch at home and we went to town!
Since we’re kind of hardcore Freddy’s fans, fry sauce became mandatory. I found a copy cat recipe online and we got to dipping. The onion rings were prefectly crispy, and with the fry sauce we were in fried onion heaven! These guys aren’t an all the time treat, but now and again they just hit the spot! Serve these babies up at your next grill out and watch them disappear!
Get more great recipes like this one on our Real Housemoms Side Dish pin board!
- Cut off onion roots and tops and peel onions. Using a sharp knife (or mandolin cutter) slice the onions into 1/4-inch slices, or thicker if you prefer. Seperate the individual onion rings from each slice, discarding the very center few rings.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whick together the flour, seasoned salt, and baking powder. Pour in the water and egg, whisk unitl well combined.
- Heat oil in a large pot (or deep fryer) to 375 degrees F over miedum-high to high heat.
- Dip onion slices in the batter, and shake gently to remove any excess batter before carfeully dropping the onions into the hot oil. You will need to work in batches, do not over crowd the pot.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or unti golden brown. Remove onion rings to a paper towel lined baking sheet to drain. Serve immediately.
Hungry for more?
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!