Simple, cheesy & an ideal comfort dish, Cheesy Zucchini Gratin is the perfect side dish to anything you make and a must-have at the potluck!
Cheesy Zucchini Gratin is easy-to-make comfort food at its finest and is full of savory flavors. This classic side dish is loaded with fresh vegetables like sweet onion and zucchini, mixed with cheese and spices, and topped with buttery crumbled crackers, for a combination that has everyone lining up for seconds!
Bring Me All the Squash
There really isn’t anything you can’t make with squash, it’s that amazing. While I absolutely adore potatoes, it’s nice to take a break in the summer and cook dishes that are a little lighter, while still having all of the creamy cheese I love. Cheesy Zucchini Gratin is one dish we can’t get enough of so we make it year-round to serve with the dinners we grill or even as a Thanksgiving side! The tender zucchini, cheesy sauce, and lightly crunchy topping make one perfect bite after another.
Other Recipes to Serve with Cheesy Zucchini Gratin
- The sweet and salty flavors of Pineapple Glazed Ham are a great complement to Cheesy Zucchini Gratin. There are so many delicious options to serve with this Gratin, it really goes with just about everything!
- Air Fryer Parmesan Zucchini is a super tasty way to keep the zucchini party going- it’s light, a little cheesy, and ready in minutes.
Pantry Items: You will need some all-purpose flour and buttery crackers, like Ritz, that have been crumbled.
Veggies: Grab a sweet onion, garlic, and four medium zucchini.
Dairy: This recipe requires unsalted butter so make sure you have a few sticks. You will also need milk and sharp cheddar.
Spices: You will need salt, black pepper, and ground nutmeg.
How to Make Cheesy Zucchini Gratin
STEP ONE: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray. While that’s heating, melt the butter in a skillet and sauté the onions until soft and then add the garlic. Add the zucchini, spices, and flour and continue to cook for another minute.
STEP TWO: Add the warmed milk to the sauté pan and stir until the mixture has thickened a little. Take the pan off of the heat and add 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese.
STEP THREE: Pour the zucchini mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with the rest of the cheese and then the crumbled crackers. Drizzle the top with melted butter.
STEP FOUR: Bake the gratin for 18-20 minutes or until the topping has turned golden brown. Once you remove it from the oven, allow the gratin to cool for 15 minutes before serving so the sauce can thicken.
Tips for Success
- Do you love the idea of using a mix of zucchini and yellow squash for this gratin? You totally should! Both squashes are delicious and mix well together, plus the pops of different colors would make your gratin look even more delectable.
- Adding cooked, crumbled bacon to your gratin is encouraged if you love bacon and have some on hand.
- For a thicker, creamier sauce you can also substitute half of all of the milk for half and half.
- Cheesy Zucchini Gratin will last for three days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Do you peel squash?
The peels of both zucchini and yellow squash are pretty thin so when cooking with either squash, peeling is not necessary. Leaving the peels on can also provide a little more heartiness to the veggies as well, making zucchini and yellow squash dishes more filling and satisfying. There is also no need to drain the excess moisture from the zucchini for this recipe. Adding the flour while sautéing the zucchini helps to curb how much moisture is in the dish, leaving your gratin nice and creamy.
Can I use different cheeses?
Cheesy Zucchini Gratin is a wonderfully versatile dish so you can absolutely use a different cheese or a combination of cheeses. Substitute some or all of the cheddar cheese with mozzarella, for a more “melty” gratin, or add parmesan for that salty, nutty flavor. Gruyere is also a great salty, nutty cheese and a very popular cheese option because of how creamy it is. Take each cheese for a spin in this dish to find out your favorite!
More veggie packed casseroles to love
- Cheesy Zucchini Rice
- Pearl Onion & Cheese Gratin
- Yellow Squash Casserole
- Au Gratin Potato Casserole
- Butternut Squash Mac N Cheese
*This post was originally posted on 05/04/2015.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sweet onion peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 medium zucchini sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 heaping tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded (divided)
- 1 cup Ritz crackers (or other buttery crackers)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch x 8-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet, melt 1/4 cup unsalted butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 6 minutes, until softened and translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add in the zucchini and sprinkle it with salt, pepper, nutmeg, and flour. Mix and cook for 1 minute. Add in warm milk and stir until the mixture begins to thicken, about 1-2 minutes.
- Take the skillet off the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Top with the remaining cheese and crushed crackers. Drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until the topping is golden brown and the zucchini is tender.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool at least 15 minutes before serving. (This will help the sauce thicken.)