CHEESY ZUCCHINI RICE is amazing! It’s a great way to kick up your rice and get the kids to eat more greens! Full of cheese they will be shoveling it in their mouths!
We eat a lot of rice in our house. My son’s favorite dinner is Busy Weeknight Chicken with rice. That is good and easy for me but can get super boring, super fast!!!! Right now we’re trying to get the boys to eat more greens. My youngest like a lot more vegetables and will eat broccoli but my oldest monkey is not a fan of any vegetables. He will eat sushi though (don’t ask me how that happened) and he’ll eat seaweed so he does get an occasional green but I’d like to see more in his diet. That’s where Cheesy Zucchini Rice came in.
This rice is really just as easy to make as plain rice and really doesn’t add more to my cooking time. The rice cooks like normal and while that cooks you can shred the zucchini and cheese. It gets tossed together and voila! A cheesy treat for the kids and greens for mom! I left pepper out of the recipe because my youngest monkey always complains when I use it but I think it would taste great with it. If you have a little one who’s sensitive to pepper you may just want to add it later. I’m so glad to have another rice option in my recipe box to keep my weeknight dinners simple!!
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups rice
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp of salt
- 3 cups zucchini shredded
- 2 cups of white cheddar shredded
- heat olive oil and melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat
- add the rice and garlic to the pan and stir allowing the rice to toast for 2-3 minutes
- add chicken stock and salt
- cover the pan and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and bring to a simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until all the stock is absorbed by the rice
- using a fork fluff the rice
- add the cheese and shredded zucchini and continue to fluff with the fork until it's all mixed together