Easy to make and deliciously colorful, these eye-catching Chewy Chocolate Cake Mix M&M Cookies are everyone’s favorite!
There are plenty of desserts you can make with a box of chocolate cake mix, but these Chewy Chocolate Cake Mix M&M Cookies are a fan favorite in my house! There is just something about the colorful speckles of the M&Ms that always make me reach for this cookie first!
CHEWY CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX M&M COOKIES
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
I love using cake mix to make cookies! It is the easiest hack and the cookies always turn out chewy and perfect! These chocolate M and M cookies are also fun and festive. I have taken these cookies to potlucks, baked them for holidays, and made them for my kid’s birthday parties and they are always the first thing to disappear from the table.
CHOCOLATE M&M COOKIES INGREDIENTS
Cake Mix- You will need one box of chocolate cake mix for this recipe. I prefer super chocolatey Devil’s Food when I am making M&M cookies with cake mix.
Eggs- Use two large eggs at room temperature. You can also beat the eggs in a bowl prior to adding them to the cookie mix.
Milk- I always use regular milk, as milk alternatives can sometimes change the texture of the cookie dough.
M&Ms- You can use regular milk chocolate M&Ms or M&M Mini’s depending on availability and preference. Make sure to keep some extra M&M’s set aside to top your cookie dough balls with.
Chocolate Chips- I use regular semi-sweet chocolate chips but you can also experiment with mini chips or even white chocolate or flavored chips.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE M&M COOKIES
- Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees F. Then, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, add the cake mix and baking powder. Mix in the eggs, oil, milk, and vanilla. Now fold in the M&Ms and chocolate chips until combined. (Mmmm… double chocolate!)
- Next, using a 1 1/2 tablespoon cookie scoop, scoop out balls of dough and place them spaced out onto the lined baking sheet. Do not flatten the dough. Add a few extra M&Ms and chocolate chips to the top of each cookie dough ball if desired.
*This will make them stand out on top after baking.
- After the cookies are portioned, place the cookie sheet into the freezer for 5 minutes to chill the dough. If you are working in batches, you can store the bowl of dough in the fridge between batches.
- After 5 minutes in the freezer, bake the cookies for 9 minutes to keep them moist and chewy. Remove the cookies and allow them to cool for a couple of minutes prior to transferring them to a wire rack.
WHY ARE MY CAKE MIX COOKIES FLAT?
First, make sure you are following the recipe and not accidentally adding excess liquid to the mix. The good news is that since this recipe doesn’t call for butter, which is the usual culprit for flat cookies, you shouldn’t have this issue.
However, if you’re experiencing flat cookies, try letting the dough freeze a little bit longer prior to baking to allow it time to set. Also, make sure you are placing the dough on a cool cookie sheet as a warm sheet will cause the dough to spread out prematurely.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU DO WITH CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX?
Are you looking for more easy cake mix dessert recipes? I have good news for you! There are a ton of easy recipes that start with a box of cake mix!
In continuing with the cookie trend, Chocolate Cake Mix Bars are the ultimate chocolate dessert! Half cookie, half brownie, all chocolate! Or if you are looking for something a little less chocolatey, Cake Mix Cookie Bars can be made with a box of yellow cake mix and are equally amazing!
If you’re looking for something to serve at a party, this 4-Ingredient Chocolate Cake Batter Dip is an indulgent chocolate dip you can whip up in just 5 minutes! Serve with chocolate cookies or graham crackers.
TRY THESE OTHER AMAZING COOKIE RECIPES
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies
- Pumpkin M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Nutty Triple Chocolate Cookies
- White Chocolate M&M Cookies
- Chewy Monster Cookies
- More DESSERT recipes…
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THESE CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX COOKIES
Large Mixing Bowl: Make sure you have a large enough bowl for the cake mix ingredients and all of those yummy chocolate candies!
Cookie Scoop: These are a must for keeping your cookies a consistent size.
Wire Rack: This is the perfect cooling rack to have on hand for all of your cookie baking!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix and baking powder. Stir to combine.
- Mix the eggs, oil, milk, and vanilla into the dry ingredients. Then fold in M&Ms and chocolate chips until combined.
- Scoop out balls of dough using a 1.5 tablespoon cookie scoop. Do not flatten as they will spread. Ensure to leave some space in between each ball. Add a few extra M&Ms and chocolate chips on top, if desired.
- Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for 5 minutes prior to baking. If you are working in batches, you can store the rest of the dough in the fridge until ready to scoop.
- Bake for 9 minutes to keep the cookies chewy. Remove from the oven and let cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.