Rainbow Sprinkle Cookies are fun, colorful cookies that are easy to make with the family. Sharing these rainbows with friends is a delight!
Rainbow Sprinkle Cookies are sweet, chewy treats that come together in about 30 minutes, with no need to refrigerate, and are just as fun to make as they are to eat! Gather your usual cookie-making ingredients, like flour, butter, eggs, and sugar, along with plenty of rainbow sprinkles and your favorite kitchen helpers to create a joyful treat!
Each Rainbow Sprinkle Cookie is like a delightful little party full of yummy sprinkles! These cookies are always fun to make with my kids and you can always tell which cookies were theirs because you can’t see any cookie, they’re so coated with sprinkles. We often make the cookies with almond extract, which gives the cookies a hint of delicious nuttiness but we also like to shake things up and will make batches with other extracts, like lemon, for a citrus surprise! However, you make them, these happy little cookies are sure to put a smile on everyone’s face.
Other Recipes to Serve with Rainbow Sprinkle Cookies
- Another fun recipe to create with the kids is Cookies & Cream Marshmallow Treats! Break out all of your favorite cookie cutters for these treats.
- Rainbow Party Punch is a wonderfully delicious drink to serve with cookies, making the rainbow party better!
Pantry Items: To make these cookies, you will need all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, and cornstarch.
Refrigerated Items: Room-temperature eggs and softened salted butter are also needed for this recipe.
Extras: You will need nonpareils or your favorite sprinkles and almond extract.
How to Make Rainbow Sprinkle Cookies
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and either line two baking sheets with parchment paper or spray them with non-stick spray. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and, cornstarch. Using a stand mixer or a large bowl with beaters, add the butter and sugar, and cream until it is fluffy.
STEP TWO: Lower the speed of the mixer and add the eggs one at a time, mixing well. Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until combined.
STEP THREE: Scoop about one tablespoon of the dough and roll it into a ball, then slightly flatten it. Spread the sprinkles on a flat plate and press the flattened cookie into the sprinkles, coating both sides. Place the cookies on the baking sheets, staggering them, as they will spread.
STEP FOUR: Bake the cookies for 8-11 minutes until the bottoms are golden brown. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet.
Tips for Success
- Other extracts can also be used in this recipe, like, a classic vanilla extract. Try out other extracts like coffee, peppermint, orange, or lemon for a special twist!
- While cornstarch isn’t a typical ingredient in most cookies, it helps keep the nice, satisfying chewiness in these cookies.
- You don’t have to coat the bottoms of the cookies in sprinkles but hey, who doesn’t love more sprinkles?!?
- Keep the cookies in an airtight container with a slice of bread to keep them from going stale and they will last up to five days. You can also freeze the dough, before you add the sprinkles, for up the three months and when you’re ready to bake, allow the dough to thaw and continue with the recipe.
Do I need to refrigerate the dough?
Many cookie recipes require the dough to be refrigerated before shaping and baking for the dough to maintain the correct shape. Rainbow Sprinkle Cookies are so easy to make, you can mix them up, portion out the cookies, press on the sprinkles and bake, all without chilling the dough! The cookies will not only maintain their shape but will not spread on the pan, although they will puff up a little bit, which is why you want to stagger the cookies to make sure there is a little space between each cookie. Quick to make and so fun to eat, these cookies are the whole package!
Can I put the sprinkles on after baking the cookies?
Be sure to press the sprinkles onto the cookies before baking so that they stick and remain on the cookie. After baking, the cookies will be too firm, and the sprinkles will roll off if you try to apply them after baking. Don’t forget to try out different sprinkles as well! Go for seasonal sprinkles and specific colors for teams or events, or choose between small nonpareils and larger Jimmy sprinkles.
Bake more fun treats for everyone to enjoy!
- Caramel Peanut Butter Pretzel Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- Ultimate Candy Cookie Bars
- Chewy Chocolate Cake Mix M&M Cookies
- Slice and Bake Sugar Cookies
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or grease the pans with a non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cornstarch, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Add the butter and sugar to a large mixing bowl (or stand mixer bowl). Beat on medium speed for about 4 minutes until the butter is light and fluffy. Turn the mixer to low and add the eggs one at a time, mixing until incorporated. Then mix in the almond extract.
- Add the dry ingredients in two additions, mixing after each addition until just combined.
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon of cookie dough from the bowl and use your hands to roll it into a ball. Slightly flatten the ball with your hand. Repeat with the remaining cookie dough.
- Pour the sprinkles into a plate. Press the cookies into the sprinkles, making sure to coat all sides. Place the coated dough onto the baking sheets. Be sure to stagger the cookies as they will spread.
- Bake for 8 to 11 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 10 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If you prefer to use unsalted butter, you’ll need to add 1/2 teaspoon of salt to the dry ingredients.
- Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- You can freeze the cookie dough by wrapping it in plastic wrap and then placing it in a freezer-safe bag. Thaw the cookie dough overnight in the fridge and then follow the recipe starting with the scooping step.