It takes just 5 minutes to whip up these classic Slice and Bake Sugar Cookies! Roll the dough in festive sprinkles for any occasion!
SLICE AND BAKE SUGAR COOKIES
Love it?! Pin it to your DESSERTS pin board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Nothing says classic comfort food like sugar cookies. I have fond memories of my early married days (you know…those pre-child days when I thought I was too busy for baking), when my husband and I would run to the grocery store for a tube of refrigerated sugar cookie dough. Sometimes we’d be wild and crazy and buy chocolate chip. But our favorite? Classic Slice and Bake Sugar Cookies.
Three kids later and 14 years of playing taxi-mom and I’m more than happy to skip that quick trip to the grocery store for sugar cookie dough. I’ll take a quick homemade sugar cookie recipe over a grocery store run any day.
These cookies will take you just 5 minutes to whip up. After you have the dough mixed well, you’ll roll it into a thick log, about 8-10″ long. Be sure to pack this cookie dough roll tightly you don’t end up with air pockets in your cookies.
Choose your favorite sprinkles and roll that dough back and forth in the sprinkles until the outside of the dough is completely covered.
Don’t you love sprinkle cookies? Sprinkles make everything better.
Wrap the sprinkle-covered cookie dough roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for 2-3 hours. Chilling the dough allows that butter to harden again so that the cookies don’t spread too much while baking.
And while the cookie dough is chilling, you can kick back with a cup of coffee and your favorite book if you have the chance.
Once the dough is chilled, they are easy to slice up. Be sure to keep the dough refrigerated until it is ready to bake in the oven.
Can’t you picture these slice and bake sugar cookies with red & pink Valentine’s sprinkles…or red, white and blue for July 4th?
The possibilities are endless!
Find some of our favorite holiday cookies here:
- Spritz Cookies
- Chewy Sugar Cookies
- Bakery-Style Sugar Cookies
- Salted Caramel & Pecan Thumbprint Cookies
- Almond Joy Cookies
- More dessert recipes…
- And don’t forget the Sugar Cookie Icing!
- 3/4 cups salted butter softened
- 3/4 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 large eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- Dash of nutmeg
- In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat on medium speed until mixed well, scraping the sides as needed.
- Add the flour and nutmeg.
- Mix just until combined (scraping down the sides once). Be careful not to overmix.
- Form the dough into a thick log (about 8-10" long. Press the log tightly together so that there are no air pockets in the cookie dough.
- Place a long sheet of plastic wrap on the counter or table.
- Place sprinkles on the plastic wrap.
- Roll the cookie dough log in the sprinkles until it is completely covered, adding more as needed.
- Wrap the dough in the plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours.
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and unwrap it.
- Using a sharp knife, cut slices off the cookie dough log. Cut the slices 1/4" thick or a little less.
- Place the cookie dough slices on a baking sheet with a silicone mat (or lightly grease the cookie sheet).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or just until the cookies are set. Don't allow them to brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 3-5 minutes on the baking sheet, then remove them to wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!