This warm, fresh baked Skillet Cookie is packed with tons of gooey chocolate chips and can be served with a scoop of your favorite ice cream!
There’s nothing like a warm, gooey, chocolate chip skillet cookie that melts in your mouth and warms your heart. Packed with sweet chocolatey chips and baked to perfection, you can slice and serve or scoop it warm and serve it al la mode with your favorite scoop of ice cream!
SAVE YOUR MONEY AND MAKE IT AT HOME!
I know lots of people, myself included, who can’t resist ordering a giant skillet cookie or “pizza cookie” for dessert when they eat out. It’s impossible to resist a freshly baked cookie of epic proportions, so now I just make them myself- and my wallet has never been happier.
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH SKILLET COOKIES
- Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream – If you’re looking for the perfect scoop to go with your fresh baked Skillet Cookie, this homemade peanut butter ice cream recipe is the one for you!
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon Ice Cream – This simple and subtly sweet ice cream is the perfect a la mode scoop to pair with a fresh baked cookie.
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream – Cookie bits in ice cream on a cookie. Cookie inception at its finest!
Dough: The cookie dough will require softened butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Also be sure to grab all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt from the pantry. You will also need two large eggs and an extra large egg yolk.
Mix-Ins: This Skillet Cookie recipe uses a cup of chocolate chips and 4 ounces of chopped semi-sweet chocolate. You can also add an extra half cup of mix-ins if you want. Try M&M’s, peanut butter chips, or toffee bits. The sky is the limit.
HOW TO MAKE A SKILLET COOKIE
STEP ONE: Start by preheating the oven to 325 degrees F and greasing a 10-inch or 12-inch cast-iron skillet with vegetable oil. Next, begin to cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in a large bowl or a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Once the mixture is light and fluffy, beat in the two eggs and egg yolk one at a time, mixing the dough between each addition.
STEP TWO: Next, in a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture until just combined. If you are using a mixer, run it on low speed for this step. Fold the chocolate chips and chopped semi-sweet chocolate into the cookie dough with a rubber spatula.
STEP THREE: Spread the homemade chocolate chip cookie dough in the prepared skillet. Top the cookie dough with more chocolate chips and chopped chocolate.
STEP FOUR: Bake it in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes. The edges will be golden brown and the cookie will be set in the middle. To serve, you can scoop out the warm Skillet Cookie or allow it to cool before cutting it. For the ultimate dessert, serve it with a scoop of your favorite ice cream!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- A 10 inch skillet will result in a cookie with a thicker edge while a 12 inch skillet will give you a more even cookie.
- You can use salted or unsalted butter. I also like to top this cookie with flaky sea salt to give in another depth of flavor.
- You can easily add another 1/2 cup of mix-ins to this recipe (for a total of 2 cups). I sometimes throw in M&M’s for a splash of color. You can also use different flavored chocolate chips or even toffee bits!
HOW LONG DO YOU COOK A COOKIE SKILLET?
This Skillet Cookie recipe cook time will vary depending on what size skillet is being used. The 12-inch skillet requires less baking time than the 10-inch skillet. Because every oven is different, in my opinion, I would recommend keeping a close eye on your Skillet Cookie the first time you bake one. Watch for it to be just set in the middle and golden around the edges.
CAN YOU MAKE A SKILLET COOKIE WITH PRE-MADE COOKIE DOUGH?
Is it possible to use pre-made dough? Yes. But honestly, why would you want to? This cast iron Skillet Cookie recipe is packed with two kinds of chocolate and is only limited by your imagination! There are so many delicious add-in options for this recipe, from M&M’s to white chocolate or butterscotch chips or even crushed candy cane! You just can’t get the same result with pre-made, store-bought cookie dough.
OTHER INCREDIBLE CHOCOLATE CHIP RECIPES
- Grand Floridian Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Snowball Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Scones
- No-Bake Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and grease a 10 or 12-inch cast iron skillet with vegetable oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and egg yolk one at a time, mixing between each addition.
- In a separate, medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture with the mixer running on low speed just until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped chocolate.
- Spread the cookie dough in the skillet and top with more chocolate chips and chopped chocolate if desired. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting and serving or scoop out while warm. Serve with ice cream, if desired.