Over Easter weekend we had the entire family together to celebrate my little brother’s wedding. The weekend kicked off with the Rehearsal dinner, followed by the wedding, a barbecue the next day and a HUGE Easter feast on Sunday. As you can imagine, I’ve eaten WAY more than I should have. I need to lighten up so I think I may start out with a Meatless Monday. I like to have quinoa when I’m not eating meat because it is a great source for plant based protein.
This salad came together so fast! I’ll admit that I don’t care too much for quinoa on it’s own. I ate too much of it on a cleanse once. I do like it dressed up a bit and it’s so easy to transform into so many different flavors. I didn’t have that much on my plate and found it very filling. Cooking the quinoa in vegetable broth gives it a lot of flavor that you just don’t get cooking it in water. Adding the feta cheese gives it an almost creamy flavor and texture. I can’t wait to make it again!
- 1/2 cup quinoa uncooked
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb. asparagus tough ends removed and then cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup dried apricot chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- toss asparagus pieces, olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a medium bowl
- heat a skillet over medium heat
- add quinoa and vegetable broth to a medium sauce pan and place over medium high heat
- bring to a rapid bowl and then reduce to a simmer
- cook for 10-20 minutes until broth is completely absorbed
- add asparagus to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes or until asparagus is slightly tender but still crispy
- place back into the bowl that they were seasoned in
- add in the cooked quinoa, chopped apricots and feta cheese
- toss together and enjoy warm or at room temperature
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!