Over Easter weekend we had the entire family together to celebrate my little brother’s wedding. The weekend kicked off with the Rehearsal dinner, followed by the wedding, a barbecue the next day and a HUGE Easter feast on Sunday. As you can imagine, I’ve eaten WAY more than I should have. I need to lighten up so I think I may start out with a Meatless Monday. I like to have quinoa when I’m not eating meat because it is a great source for plant based protein.
This salad came together so fast! I’ll admit that I don’t care too much for quinoa on it’s own. I ate too much of it on a cleanse once. I do like it dressed up a bit and it’s so easy to transform into so many different flavors. I didn’t have that much on my plate and found it very filling. Cooking the quinoa in vegetable broth gives it a lot of flavor that you just don’t get cooking it in water. Adding the feta cheese gives it an almost creamy flavor and texture. I can’t wait to make it again!
- toss asparagus pieces, olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a medium bowl
- heat a skillet over medium heat
- add quinoa and vegetable broth to a medium sauce pan and place over medium high heat
- bring to a rapid bowl and then reduce to a simmer
- cook for 10-20 minutes until broth is completely absorbed
- add asparagus to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes or until asparagus is slightly tender but still crispy
- place back into the bowl that they were seasoned in
- add in the cooked quinoa, chopped apricots and feta cheese
- toss together and enjoy warm or at room temperature