Fun, creative, and yummy Strawberry Hot Chocolate Bombs are the absolute perfect Valentine’s treat for the special people in your life!
Upon first glance, this Strawberry Hot Chocolate Bomb recipe may look slightly intimidating. I am happy to report that making these treats is actually really simple and fun! Hot chocolate bombs are a super cute trend. They can serve as the perfect little gift or make a mundane night at home just a little bit more magical.
STRAWBERRY HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
If you have not indulged in one of these DIY hot cocoa bombs yet then I am so glad you are here! This pretty dessert acts like its own magic trick and melts away before your eyes leaving behind the perfect warm cup of hot chocolate. Pair and serve with a warm slice of banana nut bread for the perfect snack break!
WHAT ARE HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS?
A relatively new sensation, hot chocolate bombs are one of the only good things to come out of 2020! Just imagine all the delicious ingredients of your favorite hot chocolate encased in a creamy chocolate shell that you get to watch melt away before your own eyes!
These super fun surprises can be built, customized, and decorated to cater to anyone’s dream cup of cocoa. That is why it is so much fun to make hot chocolate bombs. As fun as it is to make them, it is equally exciting to receive one too! These thoughtful and delicious treats make the perfect gift for anyone deserving a little something sweet in their lives.
INGREDIENTS USED TO MAKE THIS CHOCOLATE BOMB
One of the best things about making hot chocolate bombs is there are so many different combinations of chocolates and fun flavors that once you have the method down, the possibilities are endless!
White Chocolate: The strawberry drink mix flavor pairs amazingly with the sweet and creamy white chocolate. Milk chocolate or dark chocolate are simple substitutions that work just as well and are equally delicious. Darker chocolates may tend to overpower the strawberry flavor of your filling, but the end result will still be yummy.
I highly recommend good-quality white chocolate bars or melting chocolate. You could get away with using candy melts, but really white chocolate makes a world of difference in your hot chocolate.
Freeze Dried Strawberry: You can find these munch-able bits in basically any grocery store. Depending on the size your strawberries come in, you may need to chop yours into smaller pieces. There is not really a right or wrong size, it all depends on preference.
Decorations: Whether you are following this recipe exactly or customizing it to make your own perfect version, decorate your bombs with your own special touch! Go ahead and splurge on some fun themed sprinkles or experiment with different patterns of chocolate piping.
HOW TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS
- First, you will want to make the hot cocoa mix for your bombs. In a small bowl, mix together the Strawberry drink mix and half a cup of powdered milk.
- Melt the white chocolate melts in a double boiler on the stovetop. If you do not have a double boiler you can boil water in a pan with the lid inverted. This will allow you to place a heat-safe bowl on the lid and use it to melt the chocolate.
- Once the chocolate is melted, spoon it into the silicone molds and evenly coat the entire cup using the back of a small spoon. You don’t want to fill the molds, just have a nice thick coating on the edges to make a cup.
- When the molds are prepped, let the chocolate set. You can speed up this process by placing the molds in the freezer for a few minutes.
- Once the chocolate has hardened, gently press on the bottom of the sphere mold to remove the chocolate cups from the molds.
- Next, place a heat-safe plate on a double boiler or pot and allow it to warm up. Use the warm plate to smooth the edges of the chocolate sphere bottoms. Simply place the bottom rim of the sphere on the plate and rotate it to melt and smooth the edges.
- Now, fill the bottom sphere half with 1/4 cup of the hot chocolate mix, several freeze-dried strawberries, and mini marshmallows.
- To assemble the hot chocolate bombs, rotate the bottom rims of the top sphere halves into the warm plate to smooth and melt the edges. Align a top sphere with one of the filled bottom halves and gently press them together. The melted edge will seal the two halves together. Allow the chocolate spheres to set together before decorating.
- To decorate, place melted white chocolate into a pastry bag for piping (or you can use a sandwich bag with a small hole in the corner for piping). Sprinkle the piped chocolate with strawberry dust, shaved white chocolate, sprinkles, or any fun decorations you can think of!
- Finally, enjoy a Strawberry Hot Chocolate Bombs by placing one in a mug and pouring hot water or milk over it. I personally recommend milk for the perfect creamy cup of strawberry cocoa!
WHERE DO THEY SELL HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS
Hot chocolate bombs have been gaining popularity pretty steadily over the last year. You can typically find seasonal hot chocolate bombs in most major retail stores around the holidays.
I have seen different brands and varieties pop up in Trader Joe’s, Walmart, and Target. Costco has been known the carry them off and on as well. Of course, if you are having trouble finding them in stores you can always find plenty of options year-round on Amazon!
HOW LONG DO HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS LAST?
Because this hot chocolate bomb recipe uses dry powder ingredients, freeze-dried strawberries, and marshmallows they will last for up to 60 days. Be sure to store them properly sealed at room temperature away from any heat so that they keep their form.
TRY THESE OTHER ROMANTIC DESSERTS
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Mini Raspberry Mousse Cakes
- Individual Cherry Cheesecake Desserts
- Strawberry Pound Cake with Champagne Glaze
- Chocolate Ganache Cups
- More dessert recipes…
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS STRAWBERRY HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS RECIPE
Hot Chocolate Bomb Mold: This mold is the perfect size for DIY hot chocolate bombs! Now that you know how easy they are to make, you are definitely going to want to have your own handy.
Double Boiler: I may not use this beauty super often, but whenever I am working with melting chocolate I am so thankful to have it!
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together strawberry drink mix and powdered milk. Set aside.
- Add 1 to 2 inches of water to a double boiler and place over medium heat. once simmering and the top pan is warm, add white chocolate and melt until smooth. (see note)
- Spoon melted chocolate into molds. Coat the entire mold cavity using the back of the spoon. Place in the fridge until chocolate has hardened, about 15 minutes.
- Remove molds from the fridge and carefully remove chocolate half spheres (cups) from the molds. You'll want to press on the bottom so they lift up.
- Heat a plate in the microwave for 30 seconds of place the lid onto your double boiler. Press the edges of each chocolate cup onto the warm surface to smooth out the edges.
- Fill half of the chocolate cups with 1/4 cup strawberry milk mix, some freeze-dried strawberries, and mini marshmallows.
- Take an unfilled chocolate cup and warm the edges again. Press the edges of the filled and unfill cups together to make a sphere. Make sure there are no gaps and smooth any excess chocolate with your fingertip. Repeat with remaining chocolate cups.
- Decorate the hot chocolate bombs by drizzling some melted chocolate over the top, sprinkling with crushed freeze-dried strawberries, and adding white chocolate shavings or sprinkles. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- To serve: Place a hot chocolate bomb into a mug and fill it with hot milk. Stir to dissolve the strawberry milk mix.