These boozy Hot Chocolate Bombs are so easy to make! Enjoy adult this Rum Chata hot cocoa complete with chocolate chip cookies!
If you love a classic White Russian, you’ll LOVE these boozy Hot Chocolate Bombs! They are full of chocolatey goodness, crunchy chocolate chip cookies, and a little Rum Chata for the ultimate adult milk and cookies!
CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DRINK board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Have you tried a hot chocolate bomb yet? They are SOOOO fun! I love the way they melt into warm milk My kids can’t get enough of them! But today I’m making a hot cocoa bomb for the adults.
When you pour some hot milk and Rum Chata over these hot chocolate bombs, they melt to reveal all the fun inside. It adds a special treat to a drink that everyone loves. Trust me, if you love chocolate chip cookies, you’ll adore these bombs.
This recipe also works without the alcohol! Skip the Rum Chata in a few for a family-friendly option that’s perfect for a movie night snuggled up on the couch. You can even let the kids decorate their own.
Hot Chocolate BombIngredients
CHOCOLATE: I use both milk chocolate and white chocolate for these boozy hot chocolate bombs. They’re so pretty marbled together! You can use melting chocolate, almond bark, chocolate chips, or candy melts.
You can use melting chips or almond bark. These let you skip tempering the chocolate but still get a shiny chocolate ball easily with these silicone molds.
HOT CHOCOLATE MIX: Use any hot cocoa mix, from store brand to the fancy options. You can even make your own. You just need a spoonful in every hot chocolate ball, so feel free to buy packets and divvy them up.
MARSHMALLOWS: I have to have marshmallows in my hot chocolate. Get mini marshmallows so they don’t overcrowd the bombs.
You can even get specialty marshmallows like Lucky Charms and other fun shapes online!
I make these hot chocolate bombs unique with creamy Rum Chata inside and Chips Ahoy Thins cookies stuck to the bottom. Then I top it all off with cookie crumbs for a beautiful treat that’s so much fun!
How to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs
- First, melt your chocolate! Mix the white and milk chocolate together in a microwavable bowl. Microwave it in brief spurts until it melts when stirred. To keep the marbling effect, stir gently so the colors keep some definition.
- Then, spoon some chocolate into your silicone half sphere molds, coating the sides and bottom. This doesn’t have to be beautiful! The outside will be shiny and smooth as long as it’s all coated smoothly. You don’t want to fill the molds completely because we’re filling these bombs.
- Let the molds chill in the refrigerator until they harden. Then remove the chocolate from the fridge and gently pop them out of the molds.
- To make the hot chocolate bombs, heat a small plate or griddle on very low, just enough to melt the chocolate slightly. Melt the edges of one half-circle bowl and fill it with hot cocoa mix and marshmallows… and a little Rum Chata if you’re adulting.
- Then, melt the edges of another half-circle on your warm plate and gently press the ball together. Repeat to make 6 hot chocolate spheres, and chill again until completely set.
I like to melt a little extra chocolate when they’re done for some tasty decorations! Put a dollop of melted chocolate in the center of each chocolate chip cookie, and gently press the bombs into the melted chocolate.
Pipe more melted chocolate on top and sprinkle cookie crumbs on top. There’s no end to the variety of hot chocolate bombs you can make!
How Do You Use Hot Chocolate Bombs?
Hot cocoa bombs are so gorgeous and a lot of fun! But what do I do with it?
There are two ways to use hot chocolate bombs. I like to put it in a large empty mug and pour warm milk and Rum Chata on top.
I like to get the milk steamy but not boiling. You can do this in a saucepan or in the microwave.
As the chocolate melts, the bomb will reveal all the goodies inside! Then just stir to create a delicious cup of hot chocolate!
Where to Buy Hot Chocolate Bombs
Hot chocolate bombs are all the rage right now, but they’re not easy to find in stores and expensive to buy!
The biggest downside with buying hot chocolate bombs is if they’re cracked or broken, the magic is gone.
Plus, you can buy the ingredients to make 6 hot chocolate bombs for the price of one at Walmart, Costco, Amazon, or Target! No question what’s in these DIY treats — plus some extra love.
More Delicious Chocolate Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Keto Mug Cake
- Triple Chocolate Icebox Cake
- Double Dark Chocolate Cookie Cups
- Chocolate Fondue
- Slow Cooker Chocolate Turtles
- More DESSERT recipes…
Tools used to make this Chocolate Chip Cookie Hot Chocolate Bombs recipe
Hot Chocolate Bomb Mold: You can use acrylic or silicone molds, but I think silicone is easier to work with. These are also great for making tons of domed desserts like panna cotta, a mousse, or even homemade crayons!
Microwave Bowl: You can melt the chocolate in a double boiler, but it’s so much faster and easier in the microwave! Make sure your bowl has plenty of space to stir and is safe in the microwave.
- 6 ounces milk chocolate melting chocolate (or chips or almond bark)
- 6 ounces white chocolate melting chocolate (or chips or almond bark)
- 2 packets hot chocolate mix
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 8 Chip Ahoy! Thins chocolate chip cookies (6 whole, 2 crushed)
- 1/2 cup Rum Chata divided (optional)
- 6 cups milk
- Place each type of chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, and melt according to package directions until smooth and creamy. Add white chocolate to milk chocolate bowl and partially stir so the chocolate looks marbled.
- Spoon chocolate into the silicone molds, making sure to coat the inside completely. Place molds in the frigerator, and let harden for 15 minutes. Remove molds and carefully remove the chocolate half spheres.
- Heat a small plate in the microwave. Place one half-sphere, open side down onto the plate for a few seconds. This will melt just the edges. Remove from the plate and fill the chocolate cup with 1 heaping teaspoon of hot chocolate mix, about 5 mini marshmallows, and 1 teaspoon Rum Chata (if using).
- Place another half-sphere on the hot plate with the open side down to melt the edges. Remove from the plate and immediately place over a filled chocolate cup. Hold in place for a few seconds to make sure the top and bottom edges are melted together to form a ball. You may need to smooth the seam with your finger. Repeat with remaining half-spheres.
- When all the Cocoa Bombs have been formed, place them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, until the chocolate is completely set. Remove from the fridge and place on a cookie sheet.
- Melt the leftover chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl for 15-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until smooth. Place the melted chocolate in a pastry bag; set aside.
- Lay 6 chocolate chip cookies on the cookie sheet and pipe about 1/2 teaspoon of melted chocolate on top of one cookie and then set one hot chocolate bomb on top of the chocolate. Press gently to stick the bomb to the cookie. Pipe some more chocolate over the top of the bomb and sprinkle with crushed chocolate chip cookies.
- Heat milk and remaining Rum Chata (if using) in a saucepan until almost simmering.
- Place one hot chocolate bomb in the bottom of a large mug, and pour the heated milk mixture over the top. The hot chocolate bomb will melt and the marshmallows will float to the top. Use a spoon to stir in the cocoa mix and enjoy!
TJ Trujillo says
Oh dear… I HAVE to try this once the weather cools down!