I’m on a bit of a coconut and pineapple kick lately. I think it’s summer time creeping into my kitchen. Don’t you think they just scream pool and beach time?
I love the way a pineapple upside down cake looks and it’s so easy too! I decided to add a couple of teaspoons of coconut extract to the cake batter, hence the pina colada. I made this to share with my family this weekend for Memorial Day. (I may have already had a piece) We are going to be relaxing the pool and drinking some of these Pineapple Coconut Margaritas. What are you up to this weekend?
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup water I used coconut water
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 12 slices of pineapple it took 2 cans
- 18 maraschino cherries
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- in a small bowl mix melted butter and brown sugar
- pour evenly into a 13" x 9" pan
- in a large mixing bowl combine cake mix, Greek yogurt, water and coconut extract
- beat for 2 minutes
- arrange the pineapple slices in an even layer on the bottom of the pan and push into the brown sugar mixture
- place a cherry in the center of each pineapple slice and in the whole created where four pineapples meet.
- pour cake batter on top and spread it evenly
- bake for 40-45 min
- allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 min
- run a knife around the edges and place your plate on top of the pan
- flip but leave the pan on top of the plate so that all the brown sugar can drip down