The perfect Pina Colada! This classic cocktail will be your favorite summer drink, perfect for sipping poolside or at the beach!
In my opinion, the classic Pina Colada cocktail was pretty much made for summer! The delicious pineapple flavors, the fragrant coconut all blended together in an icy cocktail that’s fantastic for cooling off on a hot day. Made with just 4 simple ingredients, this delicious tropical drink comes together in no time at all. It goes great with me favorite coconut desserts too!
Like this recipe? Pin it to your SUMMER pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Real Housemoms TV
Originating in San Juan, Puerto Rico, the classic Pina Colada recipe came about in the 1950’s from the infamous barman Caribe Hilton. Originally served in a hollowed coconut, this cold, coconut libation was a favorite with locals and American tourists alike. However, in 1954 a coconut-cutters strike forced the Hilton to revise the popular cocktail to be served in a hollowed out pineapple instead. Once he realized that the pineapple juices and flavor were making his infamous cocktail even more popular, the permanent addition of pineapple was kept.
Since then, the classic Pina Colada remains a constant tropical cocktail favorite. With modern conveniences, we can now create the classic drink with a blender and a few simple ingredients. If you’re feeling ambitious, feel free to hollow out pineapples to serve your drink. However, a classic hurricane or margarita ups glass is more standard (and practical.)
This tropical drink is fabulous for a tropical themed party or luau. It’s also fantastic for blending and sipping poolside with your closest friends. It’s definitely the ultimate summer cocktail!
Pina Colada Ingredients
- Light rum – Any good quality silver rum would work (like Bacardi). I actually used Malibu coconut rum in my Pina Colada and it added a wonderful coconut flavor & aroma that has the essence of a tropical island.
- Coconut cream – You can find this at your local supermarket in the International foods section. Be sure not to buy coconut milk or water – these are not the same.
- Pineapple juice – Feel free to use canned or fresh pressed juice.
I used to make Pina Coladas with a Pina Colada mix but then I learned how easy it is to make them fresh and they taste so much better! With these easy Pina Colada recipe, you’ll be an expert in no time at all!
How to Make Pina Colada
- Add Ingredients to blender. Make sure the liquids fill the blender to the same level as the ice.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a poco grande glass.
- Garnish with pineapple, lime, and/or a cherry.
Want more pineapple and coconut recipes?
- Pineapple Coconut Margarita
- Pineapple Casserole
- Coconut Cream Truffles
- Pineapple Cheese Ball
- Thai Coconut Meatballs
- Brown Sugar Pineapple Chicken
- More drink recipes…
Tools used to make this Pina Colada recipe
Jigger: Every home bartender should have a jigger for measuring their cocktail ingredients. This one has a no-slip grip and is marked with increment measuring lines so you can make the perfect cocktail every time.
Blender: I love this blender! I use it to make everything from smoothies to soups. It can handle anything I throw at it and the puree comes out smooth.
Poco Grande glass: This smaller version of the hurricane glass is great for tropical cocktails and frozen virgin drinks!
- 2 ounces coconut cream
- 2 ounces coconut rum or silver rum
- 4 ounces pineapple juice
- 1 cup ice
- Pineapple wedge
- Maraschino cherry
- In a blender, add all the ingredients. Blend until ice is crushed completely and cocktail takes on a smooth consistency.
- Pour into a glass, and garnish with a pineapple wedge and maraschino cherry, if desired.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!