Homemade queso dip is the next star of your tailgate! I pack mine with sausage & mushrooms for a hearty appetizer with crispy tortilla chips!
Queso Dip is my favorite appetizer. I order it every time I see it on a menu, and it’s a staple of my game day spreads. I can be found with a tequila sunrise in one hand and a tortilla chip covered in queso cheese dip, mushrooms, and breakfast sausage every football Sunday.
Like this recipe? Pin it to your APPETIZER board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
This dip comes together so fast and easy! It made my husband’s eyes pop out it was so good. I’ve never seen him devour a simple 5-ingredient appetizer like that before!
Dress this dip up with your favorite veggies or keep it keto with some veggie sticks or cheese chips. More cheese, please!
What is Queso Dip?
Who doesn’t love cheese?! We’re a house of cheese lovers.
Queso dip is a Tex-Mex cheese dip packed with spices. It originated in San Antonio, Texas, and is a staple at many Mexican restaurants.
Unlike nacho cheese sauce, queso usually has some extra ingredients, like tomatoes, chiles, and sometimes meat. I add sautéed mushrooms to my easy queso dip recipe and spicy breakfast sausage for an extra kick!
Queso Dip Ingredients
QUESO: I use a mixture of Velveeta queso blanco and cream cheese for this creamy homemade queso dip. You can use American cheese or any other cheese that melts here, but I love a Velveeta queso dip because it’s so easy and perfect every time.
MUSHROOMS: You can use canned or fresh mushrooms for this recipe. I also add a can of cream of mushroom soup to the queso for a little extra savory flavor.
SAUSAGE: I love breakfast sausage in appetizers! It brings a subtle spice and some extra heartiness to this cheese dip. Use mild or spicy sausage here.
I love a 5-ingredient recipe, and this is one of the best. It’s so easy to make but everyone loves seeing a bowl of warm queso at a tailgate or holiday party.
How to Make Queso Dip
- First, brown the breakfast sausage and drain off the excess oil. No one wants a puddle of oil in their white queso dip!
- Then, sauté the mushrooms in the same pan until softened and browned.
- While the mushrooms cook, add the queso blanco and cream cheese to a saucepan. Stir until the cheese melts and is nice and smooth. Keep the pan over low heat to avoid scorching the bottom.
- Now, add the cream of mushroom soup and
- When the cheeses are melted, add the sausage and mushrooms to the mix. That’s it!
I like to save a few mushrooms for garnish, but you could also use green onions, cilantro, or nothing at all!
Can You Freeze Queso Dip?
When I make this for game day, there are never leftovers. But sometimes I have a cheese dip craving, but I can’t eat it all myself!
This is an easy recipe to freeze. I like to do it in small containers so I can easily thaw it for a quick snack with veggie sticks or a quick pasta sauce.
In the fridge, your queso dip will be fine for up to 4 days, so be sure to freeze it before then to be safe!
More Delicious Game Day Dishes
- Chorizo Beer Cheese Dip
- Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Sriracha Ranch Bacon Cheese Dip
- Bacon and Rotel Cups
- Feta Dip
- More APPETIZER recipes…
Tools used to make this Queso Dip recipe
Saucepot: You want a good pot with a heavy bottom when you’re melting cheese. It helps distribute heat evenly so no scorched bits of cheese for your team!
Chip and dip platter: You can totally serve queso blanco dip in a bowl with a basket of chips. But these chip and dip plates are so festive and colorful for the perfect tailgate centerpiece.
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 8 ounces button mushrooms sliced
- 10.75 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 16 ounces Queso Blanco Velveeta
- Cook breakfast sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking apart into crumbles as it cooks.
- Remove from heat. Transfer sausage to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Leave any grease in the skillet.
- Add mushrooms to the skillet with the sausage oil and saute until tender.
- In a medium saucepot, melt queso blanco and cream cheese, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Add cream of mushroom soup and stir until incorporated.
- Add sausage and mushrooms and stir to combine.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips.