A Classic Tequila Sunrise has stepped up a notch with the addition of Grand Marnier. Why not celebrate with a delicious cocktail this weekend?!
Classic Tequila Sunrise is a beautiful breakfast cocktail that is perfect for your next brunch with family. The addition of Grand Marnier is the perfect way to compliment the orange juice in this tequila sunrise recipe. Looking for more Tequila cocktail recipes? Try Tequila Blackberry Lemonade.
CLASSIC TEQUILA SUNRISE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DRINKS pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
This tequila sunrise drink is near and dear to my heart. The first time I tried a tequila sunrise was during a visit from my Grandfather.
I have two brothers and growing up we lived away from extended family. We moved every two years for my dad’s job. He wasn’t in the military, but it was a similar experience of hopping around the US.
We were never just a quick drive from grandparents, aunts, uncles, or cousins. Any time that family came to town was a reason to celebrate.
That’s one thing that I love about my family. We understand the importance of family and try not to take anyone for granted. We learned years ago that our time with family is limited. So, we enjoy every minute with our family that we get.
When we’re together we love to celebrate by starting our day with a cocktail. We’ll usually have a mimosa or Bloody Mary, but every once in a while we change things up.
During one of my Grandfather’s memorable visits, we pivoted a bit and he made me my first tequila sunrise. I LOVED it!
Tequila Sunrise Ingredients
- Orange juice
- Tequila silver
- Grand Marnier
- Maraschino cherries (for garnish)
I stepped up this tequila sunrise recipe by adding the Grand Marnier. It seemed like the perfect addition being an orange liqueur, and a tequila sunrise is made with orange juice. It’s a no brainer.
How to Make Tequila Sunrise
- First, add some ice cubes to a highball glass. (A tall glass or collins glass will work just fine too. They’re all very similar.)
- Then, pour the orange juice, tequila, and Grand Marnier into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Cover the shaker and shake vigorously for about 20 to 30 seconds.
- Next, pour the mixture over the ice.
- Slowly pour the grenadine into the cocktail near the side of the glass. Let it slowly run down the glass until it sinks to the bottom of the glass. This will give your drink the layered sunrise effect that this cocktail is known for.
- Last, garnish with Maraschino cherries and enjoy!
How Can I Dress Up this Classic Tequila Sunrise recipe?
This tequila cocktail is perfect with the addition of the Grand Marnier and a simple Maraschino cherry garnish. But if you want to jazz up your garnish, add an orange slice or lime slice to complement the tequila. Want to really kick it up a notch? Garnish with a few slices of jalapeño before serving!
Some more of my favorite brunch cocktails for you to try!
- Strawberry Tequila Sunrise
- Mexican Sunset
- Pineapple Coconut Margarita
- Bloody Mary Recipe
- Blood Orange Margarita
- More DRINKS recipes…
Tools used to make Classic Tequila Sunrise
Highball Glass: A highball glass is a perfect vessel for tall drinks like a Tequila Sunrise. There’s plenty of room for ice, alcohol, and your favorite mixers.
Cocktail Shaker: This stainless steel cocktail shaker is a must-have for any aspiring home bartender. It’s durable and keeps ingredients perfectly cold.
*This post originally posted on 08/15/2014.
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 ounces silver tequila
- 1/2 ounce Grand Marnier
- 1/2 ounce grenadine
- Maraschino cherries for garnish for garnish
- Add ice to a highball glass.
- Combine orange juice, tequila and Grand Marnier in a shaker with ice. Shake vigorously.
- Pour into the glass.
- Slowly add the grenadine to the cocktail near the side of the glass and allow it to slowly run to the bottom of the drink.
- Garnish with the cherries.