Grandma’s Potato Salad is a recipe straight from my beautiful Grandma! It’s an easy side dish that is perfect for entertaining!
Today would be my grandmother’s birthday. She passed away in April and we all miss her so much! She was a super special woman, that did so many great things but most of all, she was filled with so much love for her family! Every time we spoke on the phone or on Facetime she’d give me a “two arm hug” and then more to give to my kids and my husband! I think that today should be known as Two Arm Hug Day!
My Grandma came from a big family and then had a big family of her own and the love in her heart just grew with every addition to the family. When her time was winding down we all flew down to Florida to spend the last few days and hours with her that we could. The house was filled with her brothers and sisters, her 5 kids, all her grandchildren, great grandchildren and even a great-great grand-daughter. There were over 30 people with her, filling the house with love, joy and appreciation for this wonderful woman we got to have in our lives!
A few years ago Grandma flew out to Arizona to celebrate my youngest son’s birthday with us. I made my Macaroni Salad and we were talking about the recipe. The secret ingredient in that dish is dill pickle juice. I mix it into the mayo and it’s fantastic! She told me that’s what she puts in her potato salad too! It was fun to talk cooking with her!
So, I decided I wanted to have that recipe and share it with you all and tell you about my beautiful grandmother, Marie Sheridan Drew. She’s one of my namesakes and one of the role models I have in my life. I want to make sure that I hug my kids as often as they’ll let me (and maybe more than that) and I want to make sure that I fill this world with all the love I can while I’m here, just like she did!
Grandma’s Potato Salad is a classic recipe that will be your go to this summer I’m sure! I love it with burgers, hot dogs or even BBQ chicken! Happy cooking and here’s a “Two Arm Hug” to all of you!!
- 5 lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 8 eggs, hard boiled, chopped
- 2 cups mayo
- 3/4 cup pickle juice
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper, or to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- parsley, chopped (optional)
- place potatoes into large pot and cover with cold water
- place over medium high heat and bring to a boil
- cook until fork tender, then drain
- place back into the pot and allow to cool
- in a big serving bowl whisk together mayo, pickle juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder
- add potatoes, chopped onion, celery, eggs, and parsley if using into the serving bowl and gently toss to cover with mayo
- cover and refrigerate until ready to serve!