There’s not much better than apple pie a la mode except to combine the two in Apple Pie Ice Cream!
When I think of summer time desserts I always think of apple pie. I think because we kick off summer with Memorial Day (a patriotic holiday), then celebrate the Fourth of July (obviously patriotic) and then finish summer up with Labor Day (a celebration of the American worker). I mean, how are you getting going to get more American than Apple pie? I absolutely love apple pie with a big, giant scoop of vanilla ice cream. I love my Mom’s apple pie but I’ll share that with you all later, this is my ice cream version of her pie and it’s so good!
Real Housemoms TV
I gave my husband a bite and he was instantly trying to convince me I needed to write to Ben & Jerry’s to have them sell it. Then he wanted me to open an ice cream shop or do something with food. I gently reminded him that I DO have a food blog and let him know that my plan was to share it with you all. 🙂 I think that apple pie and ice cream are just so completely comforting that when you combine them into one dish they just become out of this world good!
Isn’t this face just the cutest! He wanted to help with the pictures for the ice cream and then gave me a thumbs up approval when he tried it. He doesn’t give those out for just anything so I know it is good. 🙂
- 3 cups half and half
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
Apple Pie Filling
- 1 cup apple peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp water
- pinch of salt
- in a large saucepan heat half and half and sugar over low heat
- stir the vanilla into the mixture
- once the liquid is completely heated, turn off the heat
- in a large bowl whisk the egg yolks until they are thick and lighter in color, a slightly pale yellow
- temper the egg yolks by scooping out about a 1/4 of a cup of the heated half and half mixture and VERY slowly drizzle into the egg yolks as you whisk
- whisk the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan with the rest of the half and half mixture
- cook over low heat stirring constantly until it becomes thick
- pour through a strainer into a large bowl
- stir in the heavy cream
- allow the mixture to chill completely (I like to chill overnight)
Apple Pie filling
- combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat
- stir until the apples become soft and sauce is thick
- add more water a bit at a time if it becomes to thick
- remove from heat and allow to cool completely or or overnight
- preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- lay pie crust dough out flat on a parchment lined baking sheet
- brush with melted butter on both sides
- in a small bowl combine sugar and cinnamon
- sprinkle even over both sides of the crust
- bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until crispy
- allow it to cool completely and then break it up into bite sized pieces
Apple Pie Ice Cream
- pour the ice cream mixture into an ice cream maker and prepare according to the maker's instructions
- once the ice cream reaches the soft serve consistency slowly pour in the apple pie filling as the ice cream maker still turns
- then slowly add in the pie crust
- pour into a container and freeze for an additional 8 hours
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!