Nothing says summer and big fun potlucks with family and friends like a large, deliciously smoky helping of Aunt Patti’s BBQ Baked Beans!
Get ready to tuck that napkin in like a bib and enjoy the best savory and easy-to-make BBQ Baked Beans you’ve ever had! Using simple ingredients, these rich and flavorful BBQ baked beans come together using baked beans, bacon, onion, brown sugar, BBQ sauce, mustard, and ketchup, for a potluck staple that everyone will devour.
What’s a BBQ without baked beans?
We all know by now that you have to have BBQ Beans at the cookout. And the potluck. And the pool party. And every summer event. I used to look up a different baked bean recipe every time I wanted to make them until I learned Aunt Patti’s recipe. Aunt Patti knows what she’s talking about!
These BBQ Baked Beans are so good every time I make them and I never have the chance to take home leftovers, every bean disappears. A little tangy, a little sweet, and wonderfully smoky, I crave these beans all summer long. I love being able to bake them in the oven so I can focus on the grill or making other dishes, it makes everything so much easier. I usually make two batches, one with bacon and one without. That way my vegetarian friends and family can enjoy them too, and those disappear just as fast!
Other Recipes to Serve with Aunt Patti’s BBQ Baked Beans
- If you’re not sure what to have with these BBQ Baked Beans I have the perfect suggestion: Grilled Ribs! You can be grilling while baking and end up with the most incredible meal!
- Grill up your favorite vegetables and bring fresh summer flavors to the potluck with Grilled Veggie Kabobs.
Pantry Items: This recipe starts with a couple of cans of baked beans and some brown sugar. Using pre-cooked baked beans makes this a quick and easy recipe. If you prefer to make your baked beans from scratch you absolutely can, they’ll just need to cook all day.
Veggies: I love sweet onion in baked beans. They give that little extra flavor that’s a must!
Refrigerated Item: We’re adding a lot of bacon to these beans! However, if you want to make this recipe vegetarian, then skip the bacon, grab some vegetarian baked beans, and proceed as directed.
How to Make Aunt Patti’s BBQ Baked Beans
STEP TWO: Cover the dish with foil and bake the BBQ baked beans for 30 minutes until they’re bubbling. Then remove from the oven and let the beans sit for about 5 minutes before serving. (So you don’t melt the roof of your mouth.)
Tips for Success
- Since you will be using your favorite BBQ sauce for this recipe, you can make these BBQ Baked Beans sweet, sassy, spicy, or tangy, it all depends on what you like! The same goes for the type of baked beans you choose; original, brown sugar, sweet heat, maple flavor, whichever type is your favorite will be a hit in this dish.
- Sometimes I like to sauté the onions for a couple of minutes in the grease from frying the bacon. This gives the onions a great flavor and sweetens them a bit.
- You can use regular or thick-cut bacon for these BBQ Baked Beans, just be sure to cook the bacon until it is nice and crispy as it will soften in the oven a bit when cooking with the beans. Also, you can totally leave the bacon out for those who don’t eat bacon and still enjoy amazing baked beans.
Can I cook baked beans on the grill?
Yes! Mix all of your ingredients together and instead of placing them in a baking dish, use a deep cast-iron skillet. Once your grill is finished preheating and you’re ready to grill, place the cast-iron skillet filled with the baked bean on the grill and cook for 15-20 minutes. This is a good option if you have plenty of space on your grill but usually, it’s filled with other goodies like burgers, ribs, and veggies so Aunt Patti’s Baked BBQ Beans are perfect for the oven!
Are BBQ Baked Beans good for you?
Baked beans contain a good amount of protein and fiber, which makes them a pretty nutritious side dish! They are also full of other vitamins and overall can help keep your digestive tract healthy. They are filling and can help keep food moving along in your system when you enjoy heavier foods like burgers and ribs.
More Delicious Potluck Must Haves:
- Easy BLT Pasta Salad
- Grilled BBQ Chicken Legs
- Grilled Honey Lime Chicken
- 7 Layer Salad
- Pesto Pasta Salad
*This post originally posted on 04/26/2014.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine all the ingredients in a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes until bubbling.
- Remove from the oven a let cool for 5 minutes before serving.