I love baked beans! They are one of my favorite foods and a must at every barbecue. I’ve never made them from scratch and wondered how hard it would be or if there would be a difference. A few weeks back Stacey and her husband had us over for some smoked brisket so I thought it would be the perfect time to give it a shot. There were going to be a few families over so I wanted to make a big ole batch.
My mom also gave me the cutest dish that just screamed baked beans so I had to make them, right?
I went on the hunt for a good recipe for baked beans but most that I found used canned beans and I was looking for a recipe that used all real ingredients. I found this recipe from Alton Brown and it was just what I was looking for. It does cook low and sloooooow but it comes together really fast and it’s very easy to make. I doubled it because I was worried about feeding everyone but that wasn’t necessary. It makes a lot of beans. The recipe I’m listing below would work for a party. You could still double it and freeze some for a quick reheat for dinner later.
- 1 lb. dried Great Northern Beans
- 1 lb. thick cut bacon chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 jalapenos chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- Soak beans overnight in a plastic container covered with cold water and stored in fridge.
- the next day pre heat oven to 250 degrees
- place large oven safe pot over med heat
- add in chopped uncooked bacon, onion and jalapenos
- cook about 5 min until the onions are soft
- stir in tomato paste, brown sugar and molasses
- (spray measuring cup with cooking spray before the molasses to help get it out easily)
- Drain the beans, keeping the liquid stored in a measuring cup
- add beans to pot
- add enough vegetable broth to bean liquid to total 4 cups and add to pot
- raise heat to high and allow to come to a boil
- add cayenne, black pepper and salt
- stir and cover pot with lid
- place in the oven for 6-8 hours until the beans are soft
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!