Deliciously fun Walking Tacos are super easy to prepare and everyone in the family will love assembling their own uniquely yummy taco treat.
Creatively crunchy Walking Tacos start with a single-serve bag of Fritos and come to life with all of your favorite taco ingredients. Just 10 minutes of prep time and another 10 minutes to cook and season the taco meat and you’ve got a crowd-pleasing meal that everyone can put their own finishing touches on.
DINNER ON THE GO
If you’re looking for a super easy meal that everyone in the family will enjoy then Walking Tacos are the answer to your dinner plans tonight! These taco nachos are great for entertaining any crowd, big or small, and for backyard get-togethers and pot lucks!
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH WALKING TACOS
- Mexican Street Corn Dip – This sweet and crunchy corn dip can go right in your Walking Taco or be enjoyed on the side
- Loaded Mexican Potato Skins – These loaded skins go great with these loaded tacos!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Taquitos – Make the chicken ahead of time and these taquitos won’t add much extra time to your dinner prep!
Taco Meat: For Walking Tacos, cook one pound of ground beef flavored with one packet of taco seasoning. If you prefer homemade taco seasoning, you’ll need 2 tablespoons of seasoning for the beef.
Chips: You’ll want to have 8 single-serve bags of Fritos on hand. My boys prefer BBQ Fritos so that’s what we use. Nacho Cheese Doritos also work well, just be sure to break them up a little bit before topping.
Toppings: The Walking Tacos topping bar is totally up to you, but I always serve Avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions, lettuce, tomato, and salsa.
HOW TO MAKE WALKING TACOS
STEP ONE: In a large pan add the ground beef and cook it over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes, breaking it up as it cooks. Next, add the taco season packet and water. Mix to combine and then simmer until the water is cooked off, about 5 minutes.
STEP TWO: Once the taco meat is done, transfer it to a bowl and serve it along with the other ingredients on a self-serve toppings bar.
STEP THREE: To assemble Walking Tacos simply cut open the single-serving Fritos bags. Add in some taco meat and any other toppings you like. Enjoy this delicious, portable meal with a fork or spoon.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- To avoid issues with the chip bag splitting, use scissors to cut the top off of the bag. You can also gently roll the edge of the bag down to keep it from collapsing closed.
- I love making walking tacos with leftover slow cooker taco chicken and carne asada when we want to change things up a bit.
- Serve with plastic cutlery for the ultimate easy clean-up. Just be sure to recycle them when you’re finished!
WHAT ARE WALKING TACOS?
Walking Tacos, also sometimes known as “tacos in a bag,” are all of your favorite taco ingredients in a bag of Fritos chips! This indulgent meal is easily customizable which makes it perfect for hosting groups of friends and family. The best part is that you don’t have to worry about tables, chairs, and place settings! Everyone can eat and chat right where they’re already hanging out.
WHAT ARE SOME VARIATIONS FOR WALKING TACOS?
Walking Tacos can be whatever you want them to be! First off, don’t feel limited to just Fritos! You can use Fritos, Doritos, or whatever chips you prefer. You can also play around with your taco meat by using ground turkey or Impossible. And when it comes to toppings, the sky is the limit! Try dicing some jalapenos or tomatoes or heating up some hot queso to drizzle over the top! You can even throw the taco theme out the window and add chili, cheese, and onions!
OTHER SHAREABLE RECIPES
- Everything But the Bagel Pigs in a Blanket
- Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pinwheels
- BBQ Chicken Potato Skins
- Chipotle Chicken Tostadas
- Chicken Spring Rolls
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning (or 2 Tbsp homemade)
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 single-serve bags Fritos
- Add the ground beef to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook for 8-10 minutes until browned through, breaking the meat up as it cooks.
- Pour in the taco seasoning and water. Stir into the meat and simmer for 5 minutes until the water cooks off. Remove from the heat and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Prepare and serve the other toppings in bowls on a buffet set up. (This way everyone can add the toppings they like.)
- Cut open the Fritos baggs, add some taco meat and any other toppings you like. Serve immediately.