These baked LOADED MEXICAN POTATO SKINS are a fun appetizer that has loads of Mexican flavor to make you keep coming back for more!
Filled with lots of great ingredients like chicken, red peppers, red onions, corn, and cheese. They are then topped off with cilantro, grape tomatoes and gorgeous avocado cream sauce. Add a little hot sauce if you like to take it up a notch too!
Real Housemoms TV
These yummy potato skins are baked not fried but with a rub of olive oil and Kosher salt the outside skins are awesome. I use that same trick when I am barbecuing potatoes on the grill. I love the salty slightly crisp exterior.
Here are the little devils in their naked glory after being stuffed and reheated in the oven. They are cheesy, yummy goodness. You can have them with just sour cream, but the avocado cream is so easy to make and oh so gooooood!!
These would be a wicked game day appetizer or to go along with any BBQ. They could be pulled out as an appetizer before the BBQ too for your friends and family to munch on!! Think how fantastic these would be if you had leftover baked potatoes in the fridge, I whole new reason to bake some extras the night before!!
- 4 medium potatoes russets, bakers, Idaho, whites all would work
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil plus more for the outside of the potatoes
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels thawed
- 1 cup diced chicken
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- ¼ tsp. grated lime rind
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice divided
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- 2-3 Tbsp. milk
- ½ ripe peeled avocado
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro chopped
- Chopped grape tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Rub the outside of the potatoes with olive oil and then sprinkle with Kosher salt. Bake for 50-60 min. or until cooked through. Let cool while you make the filling.
- In a blender or food processor, mix the avocado cream ingredients together. Use more or less milk to get the right consistency that you like. Set aside.
- Add the 2 Tbsp. olive oil to a large saute pan. Add in the peppers and red onion and cook over medium-high heat until tender. Stir in the chicken, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper to at taste. Cook stirring for 4-5 min. Set aside.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle. Slice in half lengthwise and scoop out center of the potatoes. Save the potato for another use, pancakes, scones or soup. Fill the skins with about 4 Tbsp. of the chicken mixture. Top with the shredded cheese and place on a clean foil or parchment lined baking sheet. Return to the oven and let bake for 3-4 min. or until cheese is bubbly.
- Top with the avocado cream, cilantro and tomatoes, serve immediately!
Are you loving potatoes, we have lots of potato recipes over at Noshing With The Nolands, like this very popular Baked Little Potato Casserole. This recipe has what people love in a potato skin but made into a casserole. Besides the potatoes, there is sour cream, cheese, green onions, and bacon. Come on over for the full recipe.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!