Creamy, crunchy Mexican Street Corn Dip is full of flavor and is the perfect dip to munch on at backyard barbecues and summer get-togethers!
I consider myself lucky to live on the west coast and have had access to some amazing and authentic Mexican street corn. If you have never had a real elote then this Mexican Street Corn Dip is the perfect way to get a taste of the good stuff. Treat yourself to a backyard happy hour with a cold tequila sunrise and a bowl of this delicious dip!
MEXICAN STREET CORN DIP
Like this recipe? Pin it to your APPETIZER board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
The temperature keeps on rising and my cravings are shifting to cooler bites to take an edge off of the heat. This cold Mexican Street Corn Dip is the perfect appetizer to munch on during warmer days. Whether you are hanging out at home with the family or heading over to a friend’s house for a Cinco de Mayo party, this dip is a great bite to share with everyone!
MEXICAN STREET CORN INGREDIENTS
Corn- If you are able to spend a little extra time grilling the corn on the cob, I highly recommend it! The grilled corn flavor really makes this dip something special. If you can’t, it is totally okay! Just cook 3 cups of frozen corn kernels in a dry pan over medium-high heat until they brown.
Mayo- Regular or reduced-fat mayo work fine with this recipe so just use whatever you have in the fridge.
Cream Cheese- I use regular cream cheese and let it soften before mixing up this dip. Avoid whipped varieties as they will change the texture.
Cayenne Pepper- Feel free to adjust the amount of cayenne pepper you use if you want a spicier dip.
Cotija Cheese- This soft and crumbly cheese has a mild flavor and is pretty easy to find nowadays. Most likely you will buy this cheese in block form and crumble it yourself.
Cilantro- You either love cilantro, or you don’t! If you want to omit this ingredient you can. Instead, consider adding some chopped onions for an extra crunch and acidity to your dip.
HOW TO MAKE THIS MEXICAN STREET CORN RECIPE
- First, start by roasting the corn on the grill just until it is blackened on all sides. Remove the corn and let it cool until you are able to handle it.
- Once cool enough to touch, cut the corn kernels off of the cob and set them aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the softened cream cheese and mayo until it is smooth.
- Next, stir the cayenne pepper and cotija cheese into the cream cheese mixture.
- Add the corn kernels and cilantro and fold them into the cream cheese mix.
- Transfer the dip into a serving bowl and place it in the fridge until you are ready to serve it. My family loves this dip with tortilla chips.
If you don’t have a grill available, you can cook the corn on the stove. Place a non-stick large skillet or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Pour in 3 cups of corn kernels and cook without any oil or butter. Stir occasionally so that the kernels darken.
Here’s the best part, you can make this Mexican corn dip up to one day in advance of serving it. Talk about prep ahead party happiness!
WHAT IS THE YELLOW STUFF THEY PUT ON ELOTES?
Traditional elote, or Mexican street corn, is usually grilled corn cobs slathered with any combination of clarified butter, mayo, Mexican crema, or sour cream. They are then topped with cotija cheese, chili powder, or Tajin, squirted with a little lime juice, and sprinkled with some chopped cilantro.
Authentic elote can vary depending on who is making them. However, for the most part, the recipes are fairly similar and the general outcome is always delicious! This easy Mexican Street Corn Dip captures all the goodness of an elote in an addicting and sharable appetizer.
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH COJITA?
I love cotija cheese! It has a mild, creamy flavor and is easy to crumble with your hands. Typically leftover cotija cheese will last in the fridge for at least a month so I am able to use it all up on a couple of dinners over a week or two.
Mexican food is a favorite in our house so I use this cheese to top off tacos, enchiladas, tostadas, or even nachos. Heck, I even put it on cauliflower! Of course, cotija cheese is also amazing on elote and in this ultimate Mexican Street Corn Dip!
TRY THESE OTHER DELICIOUS APPETIZER RECIPES
- Ultimate Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- Cheesy BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
- Roasted Corn and Jalapeno Dip
- Warm and Cheesy Crack Dip
- Sheet Pan Nachos
- More APPETIZER recipes…
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS EASY MEXICAN STREET CORN DIP
Mixing Bowl: Whether I’m mixing up desserts or dips, these mixing bowls are always there for me!
Serving Bowl: Part of the fun of serving appetizers is the presentation, so I love being able to serve something delicious in a fun and festive bowl!
*This post originally posted on 05/22/2015.
- 3 ears corn
- ¼ cup mayo
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces cotija cheese crumbled
- ½ cup cilantro chopped (plus more for garnish)
- Lime wedges for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. (see note). Roast the corn on the grill until somewhat charred on all sides. Remove the corn from the grill and allow to cool so that you can handle it
- Once cooled, cut the corn kernels from the cob and set them aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the cream cheese and mayo together until smooth.
- Stir in the cayenne pepper and cotija cheese.
- Fold in the corn kernels and chopped cilantro.
- Transfer the dip to a serving bowl and place in the fridge until ready to serve, up to 1 day in advance. Garnish with more cilantro and lime wedges if desired.